Noobie in need of help...

This will be my 3rd smoke on the WSM and I'm getting a little more ambitious. First time was a pretty simple turkey and last weekend I did some some baby backs that were GREAT, whole family loved them.

This weekend, the parents and sister's family are coming and I plan on trying... my first brisket AND some more baby back ribs. Just can't decide on whether to do them separately and have to re-heat\hold one or the other or to try and time them up so they come off the smoker together. Last weeks ribs were done at around 275 for about 3 - 4 hours... If I go high heat on the brisket (around 350) and stick the ribs on later what will the difference in cooking temps do to the ribs? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!!!

some people like to do baby backs at 325-350 why don't you try. That way no complications just throw the ribs a little later than the brisket and smoke for 2-3 hours. That way you can experiment as well and learn how the ribs are when cooked at this temp

other option is to do the hh brisket till done and wrap in foil then towels and let rest in a cooler. Then cooks your ribs at 275. The brisket will have no problem staying warm for the 3 hours

I agree 100% with James on the three hour brisket rest!! The brisket really benefits from the rest and you have plenty of time to do the ribs!!

Thanks! Ok, if I go with Brisket first, then foil, towel, cooler... How long should I expect the 10lb (that weight is before trimming) brisket to take at 350?

So you already have the 10lb brisket? If so you can do as some have already said, cook both at the same time or hold the brisket while doing the ribs. Me, I would put the ribs on the bottom rack and cook both at 275. Foil the brisket at 160 to finish.

Back