Noob question - keeping the dog away from the WSM

Josh B H

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything though... anyway, I've been thinking about getting a WSM. I also have a dog who gets to play in our backyard, but might not resist the temptation checking out a smoker full of tasty meat. So, anyone have any experiences in keeping their pooch away from the smoker? Is the answer something along the lines of fencing off a corner somewhere for the smoker so my 35 pound beast doesn't eat his weight in pork? Or does the fear of the heat overcome the desire for the meat?

I tell him no when he gets close, 75 lb lab-Shepard mix. He gets the idea and watches it but doesn't mess with it. If not the charcoal bowl is usually sitting at a high temperature a singed nose will also do the trick.

I have a rambunctious 2.5 year old Doberman and I don't have a problem with him bothering the smoker. Like Kirk said, I think the heat keeps him away from it. He is out there all the time around it during the day when I am cooking.

Now he does like to try to steal meat off of my Performer table every now and then and last week he tried to eat a ABT fresh off of the grill, but that's a whole other thread. :rolleyes:

I have a rambunctious 2.5 year old Doberman and I don't have a problem with him bothering the smoker. Like Kirk said, I think the heat keeps him away from it. He is out there all the time around it during the day when I am cooking.

Now he does like to try to steal meat off of my Performer table every now and then and last week he tried to eat a ABT fresh off of the grill, but that's a whole other thread. :rolleyes:

Heh, yes I fully expect he'll be trying to steal the meat after I pull it off the grill, and I'll take the appropriate precautions. Glad to hear he'll likely leave it alone during the cook, but of course I'll keep my eye on him. Thanks everyone!

My German Shepherd body slammed my kettle when he was young and tipped it over. I tied him up for a couple hours. It was a new experience he didn't like. He has never done it since.

He is a big boy now, but knows that good things come from the grill and behaves accordingly. At 35 pounds, I don't thing your dog could reach the top of the smoker unless he jumped up there. He probably wouldn't like the result though.

My Yellow Lab will only go near the smoker or grill if it is cold and not in use. When its being used, he just stays away from it.

I'll echo everyone else's responses. I have two dogs and they don't mess with the smoker or grill while it is going, now once it is cool i will catch them trying to mess with it but i can't blame them, it smells pretty good, even when empty :)

Back