Noob on the 18"WSM any droid apps? Go to books?

Ron LaChapelle

Noob on the 18"WSM any droid apps? Go to book, thermomter?

Hi there!
I am looking for a general app that I can use as a notebook for cooking, that might also have some recipes for smoking, rubs, sauces, etc.

Also, what's the consensus on the gotta have book for this smoker--once again, recipes, rubs, sauces, I plan on ribs, pork, chicken and beef roasts.

Lastly, I would like to know what kind of thermometer to consider. Something simple would be best. Do I want to measure temp at the grate level or actual meat temps? Is there one that attaches to the side of the WSM and goes thru the rubber grommet?

Thanks and I'm LOVING this forum. LOTYS of great stuff right here.
Ron

Last edited:
Hi there!

Also, what's the consensus on the gotta have book for this smoker--once again, recipes, rubs, sauces, I plan on ribs, pork, chicken and beef roasts.

Welcome. This book (I got the kindle version for my iPad) was a big help understanding how the WSM works and getting me started in the right direction. While I have adjusted quite a bit since then, I'm glad I got it, read it, and started with the recipes he listed. Gary's writing style comes off as a pompous ***, which is why I refused to follow everything exactly. lol But, the book is pretty well focused on the WSM.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0762436093/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help! I dl the pit pal app, i like it, and will check out garys book. On amazon, i'm gonna browse thu, yours and the other reviews are encouraging.

Last edited:
I also recommend the book that Chad Bman suggested. Great to get the feel of things and is pretty specific to the wsm.

I also have both weber apps (on the grill & weber grills). Very handy to have on hand. Especially at work when all you want to do is BBQ.

I bought the book and got the apps. Daytona weekend, I'm gonna do a wing thing that I found right here, and trya rack of ribs. w/ some hickory. I can't wait!
Thanks again folks for the suggestions.

Back