NOOB Heater Meter Question

PatrickA

So time flies like crazy, I purchased a HeaterMeter 4.3 soldered back in 2021. At that time, I assembled the unit and noticed that thermocouple was reading backwards....when I heated up the thermocouple the temperature would drop, and when the heat was removed the temperature would rise. I threw everything in a box and it has sat in the garage since.

Now that it's getting warmer out, I'd like to dust off things and get the unit operational for grilling season. I am hoping the issue is a simple setting that I can change, could someone help a NOOB like myself get the unit working? Thanks in advance!!

IIRC you have to select that there is a thermocouple connected in the software. The software setup allows for various types of temp probes to be selected of various ohms or thermocouple type. if the wrong type of probe is selected the temps will be drastically off.

So time flies like crazy, I purchased a HeaterMeter 4.3 soldered back in 2021. At that time, I assembled the unit and noticed that thermocouple was reading backwards....when I heated up the thermocouple the temperature would drop, and when the heat was removed the temperature would rise. I threw everything in a box and it has sat in the garage since.

Now that it's getting warmer out, I'd like to dust off things and get the unit operational for grilling season. I am hoping the issue is a simple setting that I can change, could someone help a NOOB like myself get the unit working? Thanks in advance!!
Its your thermocouple, reverse the wires

IIRC you have to select that there is a thermocouple connected in the software. The software setup allows for various types of temp probes to be selected of various ohms or thermocouple type. if the wrong type of probe is selected the temps will be drastically off.
But thats not his problem, even if the setting is wrong the thermocouple should behave the same as anthing else. It sounds like he has the thermocouple wires reversed. So, negative is connected to the Positive. When the temperature goes up, the actual reading goes down.

Appreciate the fast responses!! I wish it were as easy as polarity!! I have a type K thermocouple, Amazon link is as follows:

FWIW, I purchased a replacement thermocouple thinking that I had a faulty unit, but I have the same results.

With the unit in my house, interior temp 66 F, the Pit temp reads at 467 F with polarity hooked proper and temperate change reading backwards. When I switch the polarity on the thermocouple the Pit temp reads 766 F and does not change if I manipulate the temperature of the thermocouple.

Are you sure you're not setup as a thermistor. This would give a abnormally high reading for your thermocouple.

Back