nonreactive containers?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We read of brining in nonreactive containers, yet we cook and wrap in the same stuff /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Anyone care to elaborate?

Well Bob,

One thing I've seen over the years is, if you wrap something with aluminum foil and it is acidic (something with tomato for example) it will eat holes in the foil. Yuck! I've always been careful to limit contact with aluminum if something has a tomato based sauce or the like on it. I'm sure others will have some more detailed thoughts on this subject. I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Wayne

Yep, it's the same reaction between salt/acid and aluminum, whether it's in a pot or foil. This is why some people use Saran instead of aluminum foil...but then you have to worry about plasticizers leeching into your food! It's a no-win situation.

Regards,
Chris

I have aluminum anodes on my boat and they make them for water heaters. Some call them sacrificial anodes. The intent is that the anode will be eaten up prior to doing damage to some other metal, such as a water heater element. How does that translate to bbq? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

This would be the unscientific answer: anodized aluminum has been processed in such a way as to deposit a non-reactive coating onto the aluminum base, thus preventing the same reaction considered desirable from a sacrificial aluminum anode.

Bob.....

I have NO idea what you are talking about! LOL

All I know, is when I buy aluminum cookware, I want it to be anodized OR casted...ala, Magnalite.

Doug....

That is how I understand it. They coat it so the aluminum does not come in contact with acidic food.

Take me back to college /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Better yet, buy me a zippit!

Tupperware makes a really nice plastic marinading pan. It has raised areas on the top and bottom sections so the brine or marinade gets all over the food. Also it fits together tightly so you can just turn it over to redistribute the liquid over the food. Unfortunately its not big enough for pork butts etc., but works great for ribs and fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back