None greasy butts

Take it to a higher internal.

I don't find butt greasy regardless so I pull at ~190. You can go to 200 or 200+ if you wish.

Also, sprinking the PP as you pull with something acid (vinegar, vinegar mixed with juice, a vinegar-based sauce, a tomato-based sauce with lemon or lime, etc.), with alter 'mouthfeel' a bit, making it feel less greasy.

If you extend the cook, whether by running a lower temp, or by using the Guru ramp feature, you will find all that grease just dissolves away. After 22 or so hours, the only thing left in the butt, is the bone and the meat.

Jim, if you're talking about fatty tissue in the meat then that is normal. Some fat remains after the cook. One of the reasons I like to pull the pork by hand is for this very reason. I remove any extraneous fat at this time and toss it in the garbage.

I find if I cook to above 200, I rarely get any excess fat at all. I always pull at no less than 205, and since I have started that, have found very little fat, and the meat has that mythical "pig candy" sweetness you hear so much about. Never had a problem with dry meat at that temp.

Good luck!

Well it worked .........
Guess I was not trimming the butts latley ( lazy me )and pulling um at 195 to soon ........

Trimmed these babys and let um there at grate 229 till they found about 201 before pulling and resting......

Man I think I have been trying to rush um to the plater to quick.....

Like it has been years since I read the recipes ....I am now humble and have non greasy BBQ from the butts here !!!

My last cook, my buddies were rushing me and wanted me to pull at 190. The butts came out greasy to me, but they said it was the best Q theyd ever had. I normally wouldnt pull them til 200 and for my taste this is the way to go.

Paul J.

Back