No water pan ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesar:
When I close all vents the coals never go out till they slowly burn all out( no more charcoal) Can take over a day. So what I have been doing is using a spatula and putting all the coals in a large tin can and put the top on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cesar,

Are you shutting the top vent (I'm assuming you already have all the bottom ones shut) as well after your cooks? If you shut the top vent, the coals go out pretty quick. Then again, if your door is *that* leaky, maybe you do need the tape. I personally used two (very large) hose clamps...works wonders.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
An old fashioned NC direct Cook with vaporized fat flavoring the cook ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'a exactly what I was thinking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
Cesar,

Are you shutting the top vent (I'm assuming you already have all the bottom ones shut) as well after your cooks? If you shut the top vent, the coals go out pretty quick. Then again, if your door is *that* leaky, maybe you do need the tape. I personally used to (very large) hose clamps...works wonders. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup I even closed the top vent. Matter of fact I have the guru eyelets (one is plugged with foil)and left my probe thermometer just to see how the temp drops. Well it dropped to about 190 and stayed there for 2 hours before I shoveled all the coals in the tin can.

It was also my first type using Rancher charcoal and I didn't control early enough so my temp was originally pretty high. It was around 280* Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where did you get aluminum tape? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cesar, I just now saw your question. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I got the aluminum tape at either Home Depot or Lowe's, can't remember which. They have a large roll for about $29, and a small roll for about $7. Since I taped around my door, temps have been much easier to control. I have not done a long cook that required using the door to add coals, and I don't use water. So having the door taped has not been an issue for me, but if I needed to open the door, it would be a bit problematic.
Al

oh I didn't realize it tapes the door shut. I thought it was like a gasket. Don't want to do that. Every now and then I shake up the coals to let the ash fall so need that access door.

Well I did another cook this weekend. 17 hours using the Rancher but what I did was fold foil and press it along the top of the door and in one of my bottom vents(fell over in a windstorm and bent my vent). I also spent a little time to try and make the access door fit a bit better before the cook. I don't know how long it took for the coals to go out after I closed all the vents but they were out by the next morning with at least a bottom roll of rancher to go.

icon_smile.gif
I love how long a single load lasts on the WSM.

cesar, aluminum tape could be used as a gasket as well. I tried making a foil gasket, but on the door of my wsm both lower corners seemed to be cut too deep and it was difficult making a foil gasket work well. So I just taped all the way around the door. Next time I do butts, I'm gonna cook with the temp a bit high with a FULL ring of rancher and maybe won't have to add coals. If I do have to add, maybe I'll just lift off the mid section and set it aside while I add coals. I use a empty piedmont pan, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I use the same piedmont pan setup. I think the time I spent reshaping the door mad a big difference plus the folded foil I pressed in on the top of the door. It seems to only have a gap at the top. Other then my bent vent everything else has been awesome.

Back