No sugar on a HH butt???

Mark K.

I was just about to make some rub for my first HH butt tomorrow, but then I just realized... if I'm smoking at 350, won't the sugar in the rub burn?

Do you guys use leave out the sugar when you cook a HH butt?

I'm no expert but I believe sugar burns at 350 degrees and above so while I would limit the amount I wouldn't eliminate it, especially if your max cook temp will be 350....Hopefuly someone else is still up to chime in as well....

Clark

Mark, Kevin had a thread that gave the burning temps for different types of sugar. You may have to do a little research. It's not a simple statement. I use turbinado which I believe burns at around 312

We're about to find out.

I rubbed a brisket last night with a homemade rub that included brown sugar. I don't usually put much, if any, sugar on beef, but I had a few beers and ... stuff happened.

It's going on the WSM for a High Heat treatment in a couple of hours. I'll report back on the results...unless I have more beer and forget.

Mark, I did a HH pork butt yesterday with turbinado sugar as part of the rub and was running about 315 degrees (allowing for thermometer error). I've done them in the past up to 350 degrees without a problem. The only burnt part was the ends of the strings I tied the butt with...
icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar burns > 350. However, meat surface temps are cooler than ambient cooking temps due to evaporative cooling at the meat's surface.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Sugar burns > 350. However, meat surface temps are cooler than ambient cooking temps due to evaporative cooling at the meat's surface. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes perfect sense, but if you don't have some foil handy and plan on cooking a butt or brisket at 350*...you better really like a HARD, DARK BARK...a lot.

I won't bet on what it'll taste like, either.
I've tasted a couple of bites before, once at a local bbq joint that's since closed down...

...another on a HH cook OF MY OWN, where the bark actually ended up tasting "burnt". I was cooking on a cheap offset and had some 325*+ spikes, and after the cook wrote in my bbq journal to never again try to cook over 275* again without wrapping.

What Kevin said is right and makes perfect sense to me though....just stick to a good HH method and wrap in foil once the bark is right and the meat is smoked.
icon_wink.gif

The surface can and will eventually get hot, especially if using the bottom grate. To tell the truth, I don't know what that other rub ingredients might get bitter just as bad as burnt sugar can. I don't put sugar on steaks, and I know what the flames can do there. The area outside of the pan on the bottom rack is not that far from the fire, and even cooking on the top grate isn't like cooking in an oven.

All that is over-stating the obvious, as I'm prone to do... but maybe it might discourage someone from experiencing a less than stellar cooking experience, too.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back