No crossover bars in the 300 series Genesis grills?

Jon K in PNW

Hi Folks,

I'm sorta surprised by this...

My grill doesn't have crossover bars linking the three burners together. I know the older units do have crossovers. Am I missing them? Is there a reason they aren't needed?

I have a NG S-330.

I believe the newer grills have an igniter for each burner, so that negates the need for the crossover tube. I am not sure of this, but that is what I surmised.

I believe the newer grills have an igniter for each burner, so that negates the need for the crossover tube. I am not sure of this, but that is what I surmised.

I always thought the cross over was to make sure the burners light if you turn on a second or third after igniting.

Jon, I think that is correct for the older grills. However, and I am not sure, but I think some of the newer grills have igniters on each burner tube now. So, you physically have to open the valve and then push the igniter for each tube.

This is from the Genesis 330 owners manual:

Electronic Ignition System
Each control knob operates an individual burner, and each burner ignites with an
electronic igniter. The electronic ignition system ignites each burner individually with a
spark from the igniter electrode inside the Gas Catcher™ ignition chamber. You generate
the energy for the spark by pushing the electronic ignition button. You will hear it clicking.
D) Ignite the burners individually from left to right. Begin with the burner on the left; push
control knob in and turn it to START/HI (4). Push and hold in the electronic ignition
button (5). You will hear it clicking.
Check that the left burner is lit by looking through
the cooking grates. You should see a flame (6).
 WARNING: Do not lean over the open barbecue.
E) Ignite center burner by pushing control knob in and turning it to START/HI (7). Then,
push and hold in the electronic ignition button
(5). You will hear it clicking. Check that
the center burner is lit by looking through the cooking grates.
F) Ignite right burner by pushing control knob in and turning it to START/HI (8). Push
and hold in the electronic ignition button
(5). You will hear it clicking. Confirm that the
right burner is lit by looking through the cooking grates.

Last edited:
They probably got tired of the problems with the crossover bars rotting out early or getting plugged up due to poor maintenance. But, now they have to deal with separate igniter electrodes for each burner which will also be a failure point.

Back