No Crisp Crust?

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Hi all,

I was reading How To Grill and Steven Raichlen says on page 471 that the WSM will "never" allow you to have a crisp crust because of the low and slow temps combined with the moist environment caused by the water pan.

Is there any truth to this?

Tony

Agree with Howard. If by "crust" you mean a bark on a Butt or brisket, Raichlen doesn't know his donkey from a hole in the ground.

Thank you all! I figured as much, but I have not done a big cook on my WSM yet - but Friday night that will change. I putting a brisket flat and a 9 pound butt on the WSM!
icon_smile.gif
I am shooting for the same fabulous results you all get in here. I got a custom rub and a killer sauce - I'm packin'
icon_biggrin.gif

Tony

I don't know....
I'm getting disappointed lately due to soggy meat, mushy meat, etc. I'm going to experiment with higher temps, dry pans, no foil and just see what I get.

Loren

Hey Loren, What exactly has been turning out bad. How were they cooked? Can you describe in more detail?
Originally posted by Loren:
I don't know....
I'm getting disappointed lately due to soggy meat, mushy meat, etc. I'm going to experiment with higher temps, dry pans, no foil and just see what I get.

Loren

In a recent thread called "mushy ribs" a couple of us moaned about poor results with the 3-2-1 method. I cooked 4 racks last weekend for a party and they were coming apart, but were "mushy". My buddy was cooking ribs on a big green egg at 400F and they reached 200F in about 2 hours. His ribs were better than mine and had a little crust on them that I liked.

I just feel like experimenting a little.

Loren

I define a crust as something you put on a piece of meat-- like a rib roast-- by putting it in a very hot oven at the end of a cook. In BBQ, bark is an outer layer of meat that is darker than the rest, and a little chewy as a result of components in the rub mixing with meat juices and its constant exposure to heated air over a long cook. The only time I can really think of a crispy crust in BBQ is the practice of grilling off ribs just before serving.

Isn't raichlen referring to poultry specifically. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think you can get really crisp skin with the wsm using water in the pan. Maybe you can if you use sand, but I've never tried that. That's one of the reasons I use the gasser for b/c chicken. The wife loves that crisp skin.

Two hours in foil, you'll ALWAYS have mushy ribs.

Not "falling off the bone" tender - "FELL off the bone" tender.

"3-2-1" is just easier to remember than
"3.5-.5 to .75-til it's done"

John,
I've actually seen a lot of variability with the foil. some cooks, the meat is still too chewy after 2 hours.

Mike,
I think I'll ditch the foil and cook as I usually do. Later, I'll ditch the foil and water and see what 350 to 400 does for my ribs.

Loren

Loren, did my ribs last weekend. First smoke on my grill. Average temp at lid around 250. They were done in 5 1/2 hrs. Tried one slab pulling membrane off and the other with just scoring in between bones. Couldn't tell the difference. NO FOIL on these and I think they came out really good. Lot better than most of the "q" I can get around here. I was impressed. If you are going to cook them at 350 to 400 you might as well grill them on a Weber Kettle or something like that. I'm not a real patient guy but "low and slow" is definetly the way to go. Keep on tweeking the method with the help of the guys on this board. Good luck

Isn't raichlen referring to poultry specifically. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think you can get really crisp skin with the wsm using water in the pan. Maybe you can if you use sand,
Scott- Don't know what Raichlen refers too but you are not wrong. But for crisp skin in the WSM you want high heat which means no water nor sand (or no pan at all).
I use foil with ribs but not for very long, maybe an hour for spares. Never been mushy.

I think mushy meat or fowl of any kind comes from either too long in foil, foiling too early in the cook, the use of 'enhanced' meat (when combined with other 'mistakes'), overdoing the acid in a marinade and/or marinating too long, and, depending on the cut, cooking at too low a temp. My two cents.

Loren,
I've only done spares in the WSM. The only bad cook I had with them was when I tried the 3-2-1 method. I wasn't impressed.

I cook my ribs for 7 hours at 220-250(avg. I'd say is 235-240) no foil, no turning or fliping(think: set it and forget it, well almost).

I used to use a rib rack, but I've been "rolling" them to fit more. I get no complaints.

Rath *not a foil fan*

What type of ribs are you using? Have you changed your rib choice? EX: spare ribes to porkloin ribs?

Acidity in the marinade or paste (leaving it in either too long)? I foil for 1.5 hour max depending on cooking temps and cut of ribs.

Back