No Communication / No HeaterMeter Board

That solder filled hole isn't a worry. It's for the thermocouple jack, which you don't have.

You are, however, missing the 10k resistor, circled in yellow here.

BQEpJdi.jpg

That solder filled hole isn't a worry. It's for the thermocouple jack, which you don't have.

You are, however, missing the 10k resistor, circled in yellow here.

BQEpJdi.jpg

Thanks for the reply

I found that and am thinking about replacing all 4 of the 10k's with 47k so I was Testing with the other 3 jacks.

Thanks for the reply

I found that and am thinking about replacing all 4 of the 10k's with 47k so I was Testing with the other 3 jacks.

Were you seeing erratic temps across all of the jacks, or was it just 1 jack causing probs?

Were you seeing erratic temps across all of the jacks, or was it just 1 jack causing probs?

It was erratic across all of them. When I first got the board working, sometimes they would say off and sometimes the temps were way off at room temperature. Because of the off at room temperature, I decided to put in the 47K resistors which I have on order.

After searching the forums, I've been focused on cleaning the board with Alcohol. Now the probes are reading anywhere from 180 F to 700 F at room temperature. I do have a OEM set of the 732 probes and also a copy of the 732. I did see one post where someone ran a wire from the braided shielding to the plug and was thinking about trying that as well as cleaning again and reflowing the solder.

The 732 probes have longer plug, so just insert them until you feel a click. If you are seeing that high on the probes, then some is not correct either be it soldering or in the settings.

Adding a 47k resistor is not going to solve your problem.

Yeah it sounds almost like the inputs are floating rather than reading the actual probe values. I'd check that you have 3.3V at the sticky-upy lead of the blue 10k resistors, and that you have a stable voltage at the other lead of the 10k resistor (less than 3.3V, dependent on temperature). You should get that same voltage at the sticky-upy lead of the corresponding brown 100k resistor, then slightly less on the other leg of that 100k resistor, then that same voltage at the pin on the ATmega that is in line with that resistor.

I too recently completed a build of the HM 4.3.3 kit with a Raspberry Pi 3, and I've gotten this message twice:
No Communication
HeaterMeter serial communication can not be established. Configuration requires bidirectional serial operation. Possible causes of failure:
No HeaterMeter board attached
No HeaterMeter (AVR) firmware installed. See AVR Firmware
Incorrect baud rate in /etc/config/linkmeter
Hardware malfunction

I was testing the new setup on my PBC. I got the message twice over a period of about 12 hours. In both cases a power cycle seemed to clear the error. The HM is in the normal 3D printed case which was sitting on a table, so no movement of the box had occurred. Otherwise the build has worked great.

The Pi seemed to be working okay, serving the web pages and whatnot. I didn't think to try pressing buttons on the HM to see if it was still working. So, not obvious which end the problem was on.

I have a scope, logic analyzer, etc. If there is something I can do to help diagnose the problem the next time it occurs, let me know... I'd just need to know what would help narrow down the issue.

If the HeaterMeter configuration page is working and comes up but then later shows this No Communication page, that indicates that your Pi is rebooting for some reason. The configuration page keys off knowing what version of HeaterMeter it is connected to, which it attempts to discover when the linkmeter service first starts. Once it knows it won't forget so it should continue showing the config page. If it does seem to forget, that means the service is starting again which only happens on boot. When it happens, check the uptime in the Status -> Overview page and see if it the number matches with when you booted it, or if it has rebooted itself somewhere along the way.

Back