No brisket in this town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is driving me crazy (yes, it's a short trip). I have been trying for months to find a store around here that regularly carries brisket. A few months ago, I asked at Costco and they told me they would have brisket in August, when it was "in season." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I went back today and was informed that they have discontinued brisket indefinitely at this Costco. I'm bummed!! Do any of you have any ideas? I don't like the thought of having a store special order one for me, because I get what I get if I do that.... I so want to walk into a store and choose from a selection of briskets.

Do we have to make a trip to a real city? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Kelly

I have Costco and Sams up here but the real deal is to use wholesale meat suppliers, they will sale to you. I buy more than you would but I can give them a call and they will set aside 1 or 2 briskets for me if that is all I need. Ask around and find out who the resturants in the area are buy from.
One wholesaler I use never had a market for brisket till I started going to him, because he started having it on hand now there are others coming to him.
You can also ask then to go after choice rather than select cuts and that does make a lot of difference.
We are doing a vending gig this weekend by shopping the wholesalers I've been able to get chicken hindquarters for $0.21 a pound and spares for $0.99 a pound, spares every where around town are $1.69 if you buy 16 cases to $1.89 buying from the likes of Costco.
These wholesalers are looking for business.
Jim

Every Super Wal-Mart I've been in in various parts of the country has had them. Sometimes they don't put them out everyday. But if you ask they'll find some for you. Never checked out CA though.

Thanks, guys. We don't have super WalMart up here (heck, we don't even have a regular WalMart!). I'll check out some wholesale suppliers and see if I have any luck here. If all else fails, I'll be e-mailing you, HJP, and making a trip to SF -- probably sometime in October. We can always use a couple of days out of town. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kelly

That is a wonderful little town you live in and I only wish we had the selection of fresh produce you have in your super markets in Eureka. If you travel around CA or OR check out this link they have excellent pricing on Brisket. Smart and Final But they don't have a store in your town.
Good Luck,

Thanks, Konrad. We love to take road trips, and that's a good excuse. You are right about the produce in this town.... The Farmer's Market is the best. There is a big one on Saturdays, and smaller ones on Tuesday and Thursday. The Thursday market is about 3 blocks from our house.

We have a Cash N Carry nearby. I've never seen brisket there, but it just dawned on me that they would be a good place to ask. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Kelly

Cash & Carry and Smart & Final are the same type of operation, talk to them, they can bring it in for you. See if there willing break a case for you.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]Cash & Carry and Smart & Final are the same type of operation, talk to them, they can bring it in for you. See if there willing break a case for you.
Jim[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim don't know if you know this but Cash and Carry is owned by Smart nad Final and the locations for both chains are on the Smart and Final website.

Be careful when you place an order with Cash & Carry. Be very, very, very, very specific as to what you want.

Packer trimmed select, choice, or prime brisket.

I ordered a case of briskets from them once and they screwed it up. Sent me a case of select flats.

Oh well. At least I have bean meat for the next 5 years.

I can emphatize with Ryan and his case of flats. I was utilizing a local butcher who on the last two purchases, sold me flats instead of the full briskets I ordered. I explained to him, and to his boss, that they succeeded in chasing away my business.

Brisket is surprisingly hard to find in stores in Chicago. At least where I have looked. I can go down to a wholesaler, but I need to be there before noon and even then, it is no guarantee that they will sell it to me. They act like I am a nuisance.

I think Jim's idea of connecting with a restaurant is a good idea--especially if there is a legitimate BBQ joint in town.

Good luck Kelly finding those briskets. I bought an upright freezer just to hold extra meat and when I find whole briskets, I usually buy a case or two.

Dale

I'm cooking 570 lbs of brisket for my employer. I told them to order 400lbs. Not sure what happened. I may use a couple for corned beef and pastrami. I won't be using my WSM though. I'll be using my mobile pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back