NG grill recommendations?

JoelH

Hi everyone,

I am feeling like a fish out of water. I bought a house that has a gas line on the deck. The previous owners left an old, beat up gas grill that I hate. Normally, I just use my Performer but I figure I should have a gasser for burgers since I have this line sitting there.

I know nothing about NG grills! Can someone tell me which lines or grills are good to get?

Apologies if this is an oft repeated thread. I tried looking through old threads but didn't see one.

Thanks,
Joel

Wonder if any of our resident rehabbers are in your area.
A lot depends on your budget, what you expect/want in a grill and so on. The best bang for your $$$ is to rehab a GOOD old style Genesis. Or get one from one of the folks here who do such nice work.
As for brand new? Again your budget will dictate.

I have a gas line but have never bothered to hook it up. A second propane tank gives me a guaranteed long and uninterrupted cooking time.

Propane grills work anywhere and greatly outnumber NG grills. So easier to find, easier to sell, easier to gift to your kids/friends. Guaranteed to work at your next house, guaranteed to work at your vacation cabin or condo. Can be located multiple places on your deck. Can be moved around from place to place.

NG grill is anchored to one spot at your current house and may/may not work elsewhere.

Agree with LM. A 2000-2010 vintage Genesis are well made, and inexpensive and easy to get used.

Disagree on the LP take. Converted everything I have except my Q to NG and soooooooooo glad for it. I hate running to get tanks filled/exchanged or starting a long cook and the tank runs out while I am doing something else and don't see it in time coming out to a cold grill and a spoiled cook. If you have NG it's the ONLY way to fly

Thanks for the input. I spent some time reading about the differences between the Weber Genesis and Spirit lines. Several of the articles I read made it sound like the Spirit lines are a really good bang for the buck.

I'm probably wanting a 3 burner grill that is < $1,000. I don't need one of those big *** grills to impress the neighbors and friends.

Also, has anyone tried that searing zone or whatever it is called? Worth the money to find a model with that?

Different strokes....

A full propane tank will run for 18-20 hours ballpark. So two tanks means you always have 20 hours minimum cook time. If tank A is kinda low at the beginning of a loooong cook, just swap in tank B. And then I have a few weeks window to refill tank A. Works for me.

Pro tip -- get your tanks filled at a place which only charges for propane used (versus fixed price per refill). The perfect solution to the mania of trying to drain every last drop out for the tank before switching.

I agree with Jim C. If you have any plans to move your grill around, get propane. If you have a line to your deck and foresee no reason to move the grill anywhere else, then go NG.
So, now for the grill: If you are handy and up for a little home project, find a good Genesis 1000 or Silver/Gold B or C grill and clean it up and fix it up. You can completely rehab one of those for under $200 and have a great grilling machine. Buy a 1/4 cow for the freezer and still pay less than a new Weber Genesis three burner. I have maybe $100 total invested in this grill not counting my labor.

No such place around here. And I switched out to NG and will never go the other way except for my Q320. Example why would I want to eve attempt to move a behemoth like my Wolf? Thing weighs nearly 300#. Hell even a Genesis! Why does it need to be portable. Want portable get a Q me I want to grill not worry about tanks or wasting my time going to exchange or filling places
Had the issue tonight at my dad's. He does not have gas outside. Was cooking salmon on his Genesis. Tank is marginal. Had to spend my time watching the blasted thing hoping it didn't run out mid cook. I hate tanks. :D

I'm definitely not going anywhere *knock on wood*. I hate dealing with tanks so why not use the line that is already there?

Sadly, I am the world's most unhandy of men. That means I either buy a new grill or find someone that has cleaned one up.

Currently leaning toward a cheaper Spirit so I can put money toward my first smoker. Ooooo.

I have to agree with Jim on this, especially on the re-sale. If you ever want a new grill it is very tough to get rid of a Natural Gas grill as there are so few people that have the hookups. Propane is ubiquitous.

If you ever want a new grill it is very tough to get rid of a Natural Gas grill as there are so few people that have the hookups. Propane is ubiquitous.

This is true but on the plus side, if there is a used one for sale, there’s less competition for it allowing you to more easily pick it up. I covered my LP grill to NG and it was the best decision I ever made. My deck has hookups for three grills at a time. I currently have two plus a camp stove.

Back