NG Gas Grill Connections

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
I don't see it in manufacturers instructions, but is it a good or unnecessary practice to use sealant(tape or paste) on NG connections...in my case adding a side burner?

I don't see it in manufacturers instructions, but is it a good or unnecessary practice to use sealant(tape or paste) on NG connections...in my case adding a side burner?
Flare end fittings never get taped or doped. Regular pipe to pipe fittings must be sealed to prevent leaks.

If you’re not familiar or comfortable working with NG, hire a licensed plumber.

And always check for leaks with a soapy and bubbly solution, regardless of fitting or connection.

If you're dealing with flared fittings never use sealant or tape. If it's simply a standard "pipe" fitting then a sealant or tape should be used. My buddy who's a licensed gas fitter in Europe shared a tip with me. On smaller fittings (basically under 1/2") better to use dope (sealant) than tape. Due to how fine the threads are and the thicker tape needed for gas fittings not getting into the threads as well. I've followed his advice for many years and never had an issue

If you're dealing with flared fittings never use sealant or tape. If it's simply a standard "pipe" fitting then a sealant or tape should be used. My buddy who's a licensed gas fitter in Europe shared a tip with me. On smaller fittings (basically under 1/2") better to use dope (sealant) than tape. Due to how fine the threads are and the thicker tape needed for gas fittings not getting into the threads as well. I've followed his advice for many years and never had an issue
I'm talking about these fittings:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120-115141_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230120-115141_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 17
Same as described above. Flare end fitting is not tape or dope. Pipe to pipe fitting need tape or dope. Without seeing the actual fittings, that’d be like a doctor diagnosing your cough via a phone call. Ill advised at best.
Here's a picture of the actual fittings. Appear flared to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120-120306_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230120-120306_Facebook.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 19
Nothing on the threads and don't go nuts tightening either or you will ruin the flare portion of the fitting. All you need is just "tight enough" to stop the flow around the flare. MAYBE 5 or 10 ft lbs (if that much). Test with soapy water if unsure once done. Remember the gas that is flowing is only an MAX 1/2 PSI so it's not like you're trying to tighten down a high pressure air fitting

Nothing on the threads and don't go nuts tightening either or you will ruin the flare portion of the fitting. All you need is just "tight enough" to stop the flow around the flare. MAYBE 5 or 10 ft lbs (if that much). Test with soapy water if unsure once done. Remember the gas that is flowing is only an MAX 1/2 PSI so it's not like you're trying to tighten down a high pressure air fitting
Thank you, Sir!

Here's a picture of the actual fittings. Appear flared to me.
It appears you have a mix of connections.

The actual Tee with the three nipple fittings are all three flared connections.

The Tee with two flared connections on its ends show those flares, but the female connectors might be pipe fittings. Your pic doesn’t have enough resolution for me to offer more data on that fitting.

On the straight connector, one end is flare and it’s butt end appears to be pipe fitting.

Anything connecting to a flare end fitting is not taped or doped.

Any connector with a pipe fitting must be sealed.

You must check ALL connections with bubbly soap water when all connections are completed and attached.

It appears you have a mix of connections.

The actual Tee with the three nipple fittings are all three flared connections.

The Tee with two flared connections on its ends show those flares, but the female connectors might be pipe fittings. Your pic doesn’t have enough resolution for me to offer more data on that fitting.

On the straight connector, one end is flare and it’s butt end appears to be pipe fitting.

Anything connecting to a flare end fitting is not taped or doped.

Any connector with a pipe fitting must be sealed.

You must check ALL connections with bubbly soap water when all connections are completed and attached.
Yeah...I don't think that tee with the female connector will be used. I guess Broilmaster included it to cover a variety of configurations. I just need both lines and the flared male tee. Will do the connection tomorrow afternoon when we get back down to the beach. Mid 40s tomorrow so a screw driver and 2 adjustable wrenches and I'll have a new side burner!

Yeah...I don't think that tee with the female connector will be used. I guess Broilmaster included it to cover a variety of configurations. I just need both lines and the flared male tee. Will do the connection tomorrow afternoon when we get back down to the beach. Mid 40s tomorrow so a screw driver and 2 adjustable wrenches and I'll have a new side burner!
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy!

Good advice from above. I would just add to be gentle when moving the fittings. Normally they have a plastic sleeve or screw on piece that protects the threads and mating surface.
The hoses are fine because they have female threads, but the fittings, wrap them in paper towel or something to protect them.
I don't know how many times I rummaged thru bins at HD looking for a fitting and found so many opened up and tossed around, threads damaged, cones scratched or dented.

I use this. I think I have three tubes of it, two which remain in hiding in the garage.

51hORK+XJBL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

1674249460676.png

Success! Connections were easy. Fired right up. Going to take @JoeAnshiens advice and reinforce the shelf bracket nuts with C-Channel or similar this Spring.

Attachments

• 20230121_165529_HDR.jpg
    20230121_165529_HDR.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230121_165537_HDR.jpg
    20230121_165537_HDR.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 3

Back