Newbie questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have been hunting everywhere in MA, just outside of Boston for a pork butt. Any chance it would go by another name?

I was also looking at brisket, can someone tell me what it means when it sayd Grey on the package?

Phil

Phil,

It could go by Boston Butt, Pork Shoulder Roast, Picnic(which is the lower part of the shoulder), all are names that mean the same thing.

Can't help you on the other term.

Good Luck, you'll find all the help you need right here on this forum. Chris has done a wonderful job putting this together and the wealth of knowledge here is invaluable.

Phil...

I always consult the butcher whenever faced with this. Just tell them you are going to slow smoke it or you are making pulled pork. Most will know what you are talking about.

I did this earlier when looking for cuts of chuck roast. They knew exactly what I was looking for.

You can also point to the hog chart most butchers have. You want the UPPER portion of the shoulder.

Good luck!

I went out this morning and found a boneless pork shoulder that said Picnic on it. Since this is a test I grabbed a small one 3.6 lbs. I plan to copy the slathered in mustard recipe since that is how I do my ribs and we love them. Right now the coals are warming up.

My question is, when I cut the string on the pork I realized it was basically two pieces. It is only held together by a small amount of meat. Should I separate it and put it in as two or make cook it on top of each other?

Phil

I would cook it in two pieces, but watch out for it cooking quicker than it would for a thick piece of meat.

Prepare each piece with rub or however you prefer just like you would a single big piece.

sonnyJ

Hi Phil, boston here too - I ahve found my boston butt/shoulder ad BJ warehouse as well as Costco. both in NH and MA. very good size and they look great. Good luck!

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back