Newbie questions on charcoal and temp control...

Jason Paul

TVWBB Member
I still haven't gotten a spot set up for my 18.5" WSM, so I still haven't used it. It's rained almost every weekend. I know once I use it a few times I'll get a feel for this, but wanted to ask a few questions so I'll at least have a clue when I get started.

Sorry - I know this sounds like asking the same question in different ways, but I'm just trying to make it clearer...

Does a fuller charcoal ring mean a hotter fire, or just a longer-lasting fire - or both?

Does starting a Minion Method cook with more lit charcoal mean a hotter fire and/or a shorter-lasting fire? And starting with less lit charcoal mean a cooler fire and/or longer-lasting?

Is temperature controlled entirely with the vents, or does it also have to do with the amount of charcoal (both starting lit, and total in ring)?

I've seen people here post about always using a full charcoal ring (longest fire, yes?), and then just pull out the unlit briquettes after the cook for later use. So when doing this, do you control the temperature by how many lit coals you start with (less=cooler, more=hotter) in addition to the vents, or does starting with less mean a longer-lasting fire? Or, is the temperature more about vent control than the amount of charcoal.

Sorry again for the rambling. I'm just trying to get an idea of the relationship of the following:

How full the ring is to start with
How many lit coals to start the Minion Method with
Vent control

I know those three things (and maybe more) control the temperature and the length of the cook. I'm trying to get an idea of that relationship and how they work together.

Maybe that last bit makes more sense.

Thanks for any advice/insight,
Jason

A full ring of charcoal unlit. Means long cook.
MM with more lit charcoal means hotter starting temps
Temp is controlled entirely by the 4 vents. However. The more lit charcoal at the start will dictate how hot the fire will be at the start of the cook.
As for always cooking with a full ring and reusing that is on you. I never use coals that are partially burned. But I pretty much know exactly how much fuel I will use per cook. By experience. But lots of guys do and that is great.
Chris has a lot of awesome recipes and cooking methods on the website not the forum. Try those and tweek from their. That is how I started and learned then made my own decisions on how I like to cook. Never be afraid to ask us any questions. Everyone on this forum is great and has a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:
Great answers by Frank! I'll just add that the amount of lit comes into play with weather conditions and the amount of cold meat also.
Once you figure out how your WSM behaves in your backyard, then all these questions become second nature.:wsm:

Tim

I still haven't gotten a spot set up for my 18.5" WSM, so I still haven't used it. It's rained almost every weekend. I know once I use it a few times I'll get a feel for this, but wanted to ask a few questions so I'll at least have a clue when I get started.

Sorry - I know this sounds like asking the same question in different ways, but I'm just trying to make it clearer...

Does a fuller charcoal ring mean a hotter fire, or just a longer-lasting fire - or both
BOTH: more lit = hotter, more unlit = longer

Does starting a Minion Method cook with more lit charcoal mean a hotter fire and/or a shorter-lasting fire? And starting with less lit charcoal mean a cooler fire and/or longer-lasting?

Is temperature controlled entirely with the vents, or does it also have to do with the amount of charcoal (both starting lit, and total in ring)?
managing starting quantity of lit charcoal is easiest way to manage temp as you learn.
Vents can help but if you overshoot it's tough to come down

I've seen people here post about always using a full charcoal ring (longest fire, yes?), and then just pull out the unlit briquettes after the cook for later use. So when doing this, do you control the temperature by how many lit coals you start with (less=cooler, more=hotter) in addition to the vents, or does starting with less mean a longer-lasting fire? Or, is the temperature more about vent control than the amount of charcoal.

Sorry again for the rambling. I'm just trying to get an idea of the relationship of the following:

How full the ring is to start with
How many lit coals to start the Minion Method with
Vent control
depending on desired cook temp and weather it varies 15-20 lit good start. Adjust accordingly based of conditions

I know those three things (and maybe more) control the temperature and the length of the cook. I'm trying to get an idea of that relationship and how they work together.

Maybe that last bit makes more sense.

Thanks for any advice/insight,
Jason

trial and error. Youll learn what works for you.

Jason, in the beginning follow Chris' operating tips and basic recipes. In short order, you will develop a feel for your WSM and you will be turning out some fine Q.

Thanks all - I appreciate the insights. This is all helpful, and I'll spend some time on the main site as well.

Jason

Back