Newbie questions for a Weber 22" kettle

FletchNZ

Hi all,
I've spent the last few days researching this sweet project. Initially i wanted to get some sort of Raspberry Pi, Windows IOT, Microsoft Azure/Powerbi thing going with my Weber 22" Kettle with a Smokenator but this seems like a much better starting point.
However it seems the more I read, the more confused and a lot of what I have read is quite old so I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions on how I should spend my money to get the best outcome.

First off, I already have a Raspberry Pi 3b which I see is supported on another thread - Is the 4.3.3 kit the correct kit I want for Raspberry Pi 3b or is there a new one coming out as its a work in progress?

What is the best air input and mounting method for a Weber 22" Kettle with a Smokenator? a Roto/Micro damper and a BBQ Guru adapter?
Are the cables that run from the temp probes to the heater meter ok to just run between the lid and the base of the kettle or do they need a special hole as well?
Thermocouple vs Thermisitor - When buying the add on board which configuration would you recommend for my setup?

and finally, I would like to learn to solder but this seems like a bad first project to learn on. Who assembles boards for a fee?

Hi all,
I've spent the last few days researching this sweet project. Initially i wanted to get some sort of Raspberry Pi, Windows IOT, Microsoft Azure/Powerbi thing going with my Weber 22" Kettle with a Smokenator but this seems like a much better starting point.
However it seems the more I read, the more confused and a lot of what I have read is quite old so I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions on how I should spend my money to get the best outcome.

First off, I already have a Raspberry Pi 3b which I see is supported on another thread - Is the 4.3.3 kit the correct kit I want for Raspberry Pi 3b or is there a new one coming out as its a work in progress?

What is the best air input and mounting method for a Weber 22" Kettle with a Smokenator? a Roto/Micro damper and a BBQ Guru adapter?
Are the cables that run from the temp probes to the heater meter ok to just run between the lid and the base of the kettle or do they need a special hole as well?
Thermocouple vs Thermisitor - When buying the add on board which configuration would you recommend for my setup?

and finally, I would like to learn to solder but this seems like a bad first project to learn on. Who assembles boards for a fee?

The 4.3 kit will run that Pi. The best way to hook up a kettle is to drill a hole and thread a pipe nipple. Benjamin Thibault (a member) runs a kettle with a MicroDamper so he can give you some killer PID settings. Def go with the Thermocouple, they are cheap, accurate, and extremely durable compared to a thermistor. I assemble boards for a fee (you can email me microdamper@gmail.com if you wish), but this really isn't a difficult project to tackle, I'm sure you can do it! If you're really worried you can buy a blank board and buy extra restistors for cheap to practice / get a feel for it, it's quite simple.

Thanks Steve I really appreciate your help. Ill send you an email shortly about getting a microdamper.
Did you have any more info/pics on the drill a hole and thread a pipe nipple method so I can work out where and what I need to do

Here is a link to a post that Benjamin Thibault posted installing his MicroDamper on a kettle - this was before the MD was designed with threads though. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?411...-to-the-smoker&p=689196&viewfull=1#post689196

Basically you use painters tape and tape the spot you plan to drill, then use a step drill bit and drill through, you'll eventually find a sweet spot where a 1" NPT pipe nipple will thread on. Then you thread it on and you're good to go! If you happen to go too far, no worries, just buy two nuts and secure the pipe nipple to the kettle. Easy peasy

Many people use BBQ Guru adapters as well. They're well made, and include a deflector fitted to the inside to prevent air from blowing directly on the coals, to prevent stirring up ash. They install the same way SteveCK mentions above.

Back