Newbie question: Briquettes take too long to ash over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shantanu Sharma

First a confession: I'm new to grilling, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Please excuse what may be to some a very basic question.

Problem: I have used my new 22" Performer 4 times. I have used all-natural briquettes I purchased at Trader Joe's. I have followed the instructions each time to the T: filled up the 2 char-baskets with briquettes, opened both vents, fired up the gas lighter, closed lid, waited for 5 minutes, switched off the gas and then waited and waited and waited for the briquettes to ash over. 45 minutes+ and only a few of them had ashed over. Since the temperature was up, I went ahead and used the grill. The results were ok (I guess). However in most online forums and reviews, I find that the grill seems be ready to use with all briquettes ashed over in 20 – 30 minutes. The long wait time is ok on weekends (more beer!) but it makes weekday grilling a challenge.

Questions:
1. Do the baskets slow things down?
2. Could it be the briquettes?

I live in Virginia, and last time I grilled it was 80 degrees outside. Also, I was unable to find a similar query in all 21 pages of this forum, so I HAVE to be doing something wrong. Any and every help from the fine folks in this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard. I hardly use my baskets but the last time I did I thought they took much longer than my chimney. First thing...ditch the baskets, you dont need them. If you dont have, purchase a chimney. fill it up, turn on the gas, in 10 minutes should be blazing hot. I have noticed "all natural" briquette does take longer to lite. When I use Kingsford it blazes up fast, yeah there are a ton of fillers and binders in there but...its decent. I had almost 1k lbs of Rancher I used in my smoker and my Kettle...it took much longer to lite. Again, if you dont have...get yourself a Chimney...a must have.

Gary

Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually I do have the chimney courtesy a portable charcoal grill I use occasionally! The chimney I have is made by Weber and has 2 ‘compartments’, one on top for the briquettes and one below for the newspaper. Is this the one you are referring to? Do I still need to use newspaper or should I just fill the top with briquettes and place it on the grate above the gas flame?

Thanks again.

Keep the lid off when lighting the coals; and leave it off until they are ready. (I think this is your problem)

You don't need to use newspaper in the chimney w/ the Performer. Just load it up, place over the burner, and light 'er up!

If your lid was on..yeah thats your problem. But as stated...youll never have to use newspaper again. You did good by buying the Performer! Put that chimney over the pilot light and you will be suprised at how fast and hot the coals will become. Keep us posted on how it works for you. You are instructed to cook tonight and reply back w/ your results
icon_smile.gif

Your problem is definately leaving the lid on while starting the coal. I have never read the manual, but I cant understand why they would say to do that. I use the baskets often in my performer and they are ready just as quick as with a chimney, or just a pile in the middle of the grate is fine too. Either way you decide to start the coals, always leave the lid off until they are ready!

I'm new to charcoal also, I've found that after 5 minutes of the gas ignition and about 20 mins of waiting after, thats good enough to sear nicely and when the lid is closed, my thermometer hits 650 degrees. I would be inclined to say maybe its the charcoal you're using. Give Kingsford a shot, thats what most beginners use I think. For what its worth, I start grilling before the charcoal is all ashed over and it gets hot enough to sear my steaks very well.

As far as everyone mentioning not to use the lid when starting the grill, I wish I knew that when I first used my grill. The propane always went out and then I would smell gas. Couldnt figure out what was wrong for the life of me, I'm too used to gas grills.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Gents

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, it was the lid. In deference to Gary's orders, I decided to fire up the grill (one of the advantages of working from home) and I am pleased to report that after 30 minutes, the coals were all white and the grill ready to use. Problem solved!

Thank you all.

Also folks, in fairness to Weber, the instructions do not suggest keeping the lid on. That was all me
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again. Now if only I can find a way to bring the temperature down from 600 to 400 in a relatively short amount of time.

You were probably keeping the lid on because you were used to a gas grill that requires the lid to be closed in order to warm it up.

If you wanna bring the temp down, try using one basket of coals instead of two. Fewer coals equals less heat.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shantanu Sharma:
Gents

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, it was the lid. In deference to Gary's orders, I decided to fire up the grill (one of the advantages of working from home) and I am pleased to report that after 30 minutes, the coals were all white and the grill ready to use. Problem solved!

Thank you all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, I suppose you will be using the grill daily now?

Very likely. I have enough info from my other question about grilling small amounts of food. Grilled a whole fish this evening and it was hit with the wife.
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back