NEWBIE POST - 1988 GEN 2 RESTO

Yeah, red oak. White oak would be more able to resist rot but maybe not as pretty. Red oak is definitely NOT a great choice as far as holding up, but I decided it was worth it for the look I wanted. I have some lined up for another grill. This time I am thinking of a black hood but with a much lighter golden oak finish. I want to experiment with mahogany which they sell at Menards. I have never seen it anywhere else. Mostly, though, cedar is you best bet unless you can get redwood.

Yes, People think I am crazy, but there is something special about taking something that most look at as junk and turning into something beautiful. That is especially true of the older Genesis grills.

View attachment 22815
View attachment 22816
That looks awesome mate!! The wood looks great, is that finished just in a gloss oil or lacquer? It almost looks like it's got Epoxy Resin on them 😁

I know what you mean about people thinking it's crazy!! I guess I see something else in them but 100% just enjoying completing the restos and as you mentioned bringing something back to new.

This is my other Redhead. It's a 1988 GEN3. The first pic was how I seen it advertised and the second pic is after transporting 🤬

But grit my teeth, tore it back to bare bones and rebuilt it

Attachments

• ad_1586041569220.jpg
    ad_1586041569220.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 16
  • image000000(4).jpg
    image000000(4).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200503_155124.jpg
    20200503_155124.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200503_173220.jpg
    20200503_173220.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200503_155024.jpg
    20200503_155024.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 14
Mark,
I used spar urethane on those oak slats. It is marine grade exterior urethane not to be confused with interior polyurethane. It can hold up for a while to weather and UV rays, but eventually it has to be redone.

That's an incredible save on that redhead. It shows there is always hope if you are willing to put the time in and can get the parts you need. So, do you ever actually USE and of these beautiful grills? It would be hard for me. I remember that feeling with the Skyline grill I posted above. But, finally, I said this is what it was meant for and put it into service.

Mark,
I used spar urethane on those oak slats. It is marine grade exterior urethane not to be confused with interior polyurethane. It can hold tup for a while to weather and UV rays, but eventually it has to be redone.

That's an incredible save on that redhead. It shows there is always hope if you are willing to put the time in and can get the parts you need. So, do you ever actually USE and of these beautiful grills? It would be hard for me. I remember that feeling with the Skyline grill I posted above. But, finally, I said this is what it was meant for and put it into service.
Thanks for that Jon, I'll keep that in mind for my next resto. I've always wanted to try Epoxy Resin but not too sure how easy it is to work with.

Thanks mate, yeah it turned out good. It's all original (except for the wooden slats that I replaced), had the frame squared and welded at every join. But yeah a heap of work went into that one.

Ha ha I haven't yet brought myself to use them yet. If I cook with gas this is my cooker, bought this off an American guy who bought it over from the States as these weren't sold in Australia (copper colour)

Attachments

• 20200118_180333_compress5.jpg
    20200118_180333_compress5.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6

Back