Newbie Mod Shopping List

D Keith

Hey everyone, new guy here. Thanks to all the topics and posts, I've been able to break in my new WSM 18 with two successful cooks so far (BBR, chicken). I will be trying a turkey breast this weekend in preparation for Thanksgiving.

Before I start asking all my questions in the New Owner forum, I thought I would provide a quick list of the mods I did to my new smoker and what I bought. It took me quite a bit of time to come up with this list, so I figured a summary could help out some other owners. Unless I specify, I picked up all of my stuff at Home Depot.

There are of course many other worthwile mods to do, but these seem to be the most used and easiest to implement.

Mod #1 - Handles

Equipment
Genie Garage Door Handles Model: DLH-BC (from Lowe's)

Total Cost - $4.20

Time to complete - maybe 5 minutes

Review - Absolute must do. I felt somewhat rushed/nervous during my first cook, making sure I got everything in place. Having the body put together (including water pan and grate) and able to just drop in on top of the bottom bowl was worth it. Also makes it very easy when it comes time to clean out the ashes. If you only do one mod, this has to be it.

Mod #2 - 3-in-1 Charcoal Grate

Equipment
Weber grill grate Model: 7440
(2) 8" long 3/8" eyebolts with nuts
(4) 3/8" Fender washers
(2) 3/8" nuts
Grip-Rite Rebar ties (100/bag)

Total Cost - $15

Time to complete - about an hour

Review - Very worthwhile, but why did it take an hour to put together? Mainly due to my OCD and lack of fine motor skills, lining up the charcoal grates at 90 degrees and tying them off so they would stay in place took me far longer than the average person. Note that I have a total of 4 nuts for the mod - one on the bottom of the grate and one on top. I use it after every cook to separate the ash from my leftover briquettes. Would definitely recommend as important, just behind the handles.

Mod #3 - Bottom Cooking Grate handles

Equipment
(2) 4" long 3/8" eyebolts with nuts
(4) 3/8" Fender washers
(2) 3/8" nuts

Total Cost - $4

Time to complete - 5-10 minutes

Review - This is the only mod I did that has not been used. Since I mainly cook for a small family, I have yet to even put the bottom cooking grate in the WSM. It's an easy mod to do, so if you ever plan on using the bottom cooking grate, I would say go ahead and do it. It's cheap and quick to put together.

Anyway, I hope this list helps out. Just trying to pay forward all of the great ideas already on this forum!

Dan

That's a great and informative first post Dan.
Welcome to the forum, and keep it real!:cool:

Tim

Hi Dan, welcome aboard. You're off to a good start with the mods you have completed. Try out the water pan but you likely will find a clay saucer will work very well for most if not all of your cooks.
Experimenting with different techniques is enjoyable and challenging.
Enjoy the site. There is a ton of information available here.

take pics so i can see what your talking about. i just got a new 18.5 WSM also.

I'll try to get some pics of my cooking grate handles for you. On the other ones, there are much better resources...

Video on how to install the handles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcu8NnI--Vs

Charcoal grate modifications
I did the mod used in Photo 5 - wiring the 2 grates together and also wiring the two grates to the charcoal ring. I then added the eye bolts shown in Photo 9. The charcoal grate model #72501 mentioned in the first part of the article is out of date - you should use the 7440 model number.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/charcoalgrate.html

Hi Dan, welcome aboard. You're off to a good start with the mods you have completed. Try out the water pan but you likely will find a clay saucer will work very well for most if not all of your cooks.
Experimenting with different techniques is enjoyable and challenging.
Enjoy the site. There is a ton of information available here.

That's the next item I want to try. I would much rather deal with foiling a clay saucer than the water pan after a pork smoke.

For the chicken and turkey smokes, I took the suggestions on the site to put some aluminum foil balls in the water pan and then cover the pan with more foil to catch drippings. That worked well for poultry since they need the higher temps, and cleanup was a snap. And yes the turkey smoke was a huge success!

Back