Newbie Jowl Question

I appreciate all your quick responses. I have one more if you don't mind.

Had I dried the jowl without knowing it didn't cure long enough would the final product have been edible?

Probably, but the texture would likely be off. Drying might be problematic with a partial cure. The risk of spoilage is a bit higher.

Unfortunately, the 1st attempt at Guanciale did not go too well. I am not deterred though and have already procured more jowl. This time I am SURE they are pork jowls. They are not tiny pieces like the 1st batch I received. These are roughly 4 lbs each!

I want to make sure I don't screw this up again so I have a few questions.

1)There is no need for pink salt, correct? I will be following Charcuterie's recipe and it does not call for it.

2)How can I compensate for my fridge possibly being too cold and slowing down the cure? Should I extend the time in the fridge?

3)How important are proper temps/humidity for drying? I was planning on hanging in my basement but I am concerned the temps/humidity might be off. I am going to use my hygrometer to check the humidity.

4)Lastly, I have read all different opinions on how long to let it dry. Some say 3 weeks, and I have read up to 3 months. Is there harm in drying to short? or too long?

Thanks for all the help. I will post pics of the jowl once I begin the cure. Hopefully this one has a better ending.

Make sure you remove the glands if present.

1. Not required. (I thought Charcuterie called for it but I've not seen the book in a while.) I'd suggest not rinsing the cure off till after drying. You might want to avoid eating it without further cooking - your choice.

2. You can't. You need to know your fridge temps. If too cold curing won't occur. If almost too cold you can extend curing time. I'd suggest setting your fridge to 39?.

3. Important. I would not hang it unless I knew temps would be lower than 60 the entire time. Humidity should neither be too low nor too high.

4. It should be 70% of its starting weight, weighed just before hanging. You can, however, go longer or shorter and not worry about the weight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. Important. I would not hang it unless I knew temps would be lower than 60 the entire time. Humidity should neither be too low nor too high.

4. It should be 70% of its starting weight, weighed just before hanging. You can, however, go longer or shorter and not worry about the weight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been doing ok with things like jowls, belly, pork tenderloins, and duck breasts in 55* 50% RH. They don't have much of a cross section so there isn't as much worry about case hardening.

Adding a mold is supposed to help slow drying and can help when conditions aren't ideal. Its something you should consider investigating. The mold will also prevent nastier stuff from growing on you meat, which is an added benefit.

70% is ideal for meats that are intended to be eaten as is. With guanciale, you'll most likely be cooking it, so really, you're looking to "mature" the jowl, deepening its flavor and bringing out some musky/funky flavors. You can tell a lot by squeezing the meat, you don't want it to be hard, nor do you want it to be really soft.

Keep in mind, that it will have to be kept frozen if not dried to 70%.

Back