Newbie from KY, found a CList S-670

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
Greetings from Southern, Ohio, Northern, Ky….

Excited to finally land a Weber grill, an S670 that I bought off clist. I thought $650 sounded reasonable. Like a lot of you, here’s my gas grill experience:

•got a cheap grill when we got married 17 years ago, lasted a few years, threw it in the trash

•Sam’s club started carrying stainless grills and to those of us that weren’t indoctrinated at the time, I took the plunge thinking it was a lifetime grill…..and I bought all the accessories to go with it...it lasted 3 years before i scraped it and only kept the rotisserie and stainless grates….a very costly lesson

•then i switched to a small, heavy built, table model charcoal grill, it was small but it’s when I fell in love with charcoal

•that one finally rotted out and I bought a walmart special, knowing it was a temporary grill, and I threw it away a couple of years later

•my wife’s father passed away about 4 years ago and he had a brand new, cheapo, gas grill….so I used it and it lasted, literally, a year

•in the last 3 years, I built a wood fired grill/smoker out of a 250 gallon fuel oil tank, fell in love with my 22.5” weber kettle and got sucked in to the QVC masterbuilt electric smoker (it does ok)

Then, through frustration, I started doing a lot of internet research and everything kept coming back to buy a weber. I was in the market and saving my money for a 330 but I kept being drawn in by a 470 with the sear and the rotisserie…..then, through checking clist periodically, found this S-670 the other day and after a road trip, I brought it home this past Sunday, 9/14/14. Now, I’m gathering parts to run my gas line, etc. It needs a lot of cleaning and I really need to consult you guys for that. I can’t wait to fire her up and throw some test subjects on there!

I'm up to 2 Webers, now, it looks like the family will keep growing.....those CList deals are hard to pass up!

Great forum, BTW, lot’s of nice folks and lot’s of helpful info….. I'll try to post pics, they are on my phone...

smudgy

this stuff is TOUGH to clean!

not too bad...the front pc. that holds the tubes down is quite rusty....should it come out and get painted? use it till it needs replaced?

this cleaned up nicely with a lot of elbow grease and experimenting with about 10 different cleaners....a brillo works best but I don't want to scratch the surface all to pcs.....any suggestions

Last edited:
Welcome to the group Jeff. Try some disc brake cleaner. Don't think it will hurt the stainless at all and will get rid of all the gunk. Try it on an inconspicuous place first.

Welcome Jeff. Nice score on the Summit! I have had success using ammonia to clean the heavy grease off the stainless. Try some out in an inconspicuous area first of course. What I will say is as a general rule NEVER use steel wool on anything stainless steel, not only can you scratch it but the steel wool will get into the pores of the stainless and cause premature rusting. I've had this happen to me in the past. Plus, Weber uses lower grade 430 stainless nowadays that if you neglect will eventually show rust. No need to help it along. Once you get the heavy cleaning done, you can maintain the stainless after a cook by first cleaning with your favorite ammonia based glass cleaner or similar with a microfiber cloth. Grease smudges remove easily with a WET Mr Clean Magic Eraser used in the direction of the grain of the metal. Follow up by with a quick polish to dry with a microfiber cloth. I've learned to not use paper towels. They smudge and can scratch stainless believe it or not. It is possible to keep stainless grills clean, but it takes some work. Like anything else, if you keep up with it, the cleaning is much easier.

Try registering your grill with Weber. If the previous owner did not register, you will be able to take advantage of the outstanding Weber warranty service. I'll bet some of your rusted parts might be covered 100% or replacements offered to you at a nice discount. Good luck with your grill! I so want a Summit. I'm jealous!! :)

Oh no, too late!

I took a Brillo to it, some Barkeeper's Friend and then some stainless polish........I was just dying to get her cleaned up....

The aluminum sides are about the only thing that wouldn't come clean but over-all I'm very happy with the results.

The pressure washer blew off all of the "Sear Station" writing and the warnings, I just went ahead and scrubbed them off...

Hopefully it won't start rusting, maybe if I keep up with it and give her some TLC regularly, it'll really help...

Here are some after pics and I may post them over in the main forum....thanks everyone!

Got the lights working......

I thought $650 was a fair price for a $2500 Summit....and a 4 hour road trip....it cleaned up MUCH better than I thought it would. From the original Clist ad, I thought the hood was discolored from heat....but I would have still bought it... :)

Back