newbie brisquet question

Damon Vasquez

ok so i went to the only local butcher and asked for a small 5-7 lb brisquit. they said that trimmed the biggers they could get in 5lb. at 7.99 a pound trimmed (yikes i think) and after reading i think all i got was the point. so i quess my questions are

1. does a brisquit need to be the highest quality.
2. about how much a pound should i be paying.
3. i have paul kirks book to king of guideme on trimming. but what do i ned to look for.
4. if theres a link so you dont type thats cool.

also i used a lowes charbroil with neu temp therm (just got it yesterday)

Hi Damon and welcome to the board.

1. No, a brisket doesn't need to be the highest quality. I'd think most of us here smoke either choice or select grades; nothing fancy.

2. Cost really depends on your area. If you buy a 'trimmed brisket', you're paying much more for someone's labor. I almost always buy a whole brisket (packer) around the 10-12 lb. range. Most of the time, I don't trim it before cooking. In central Texas, I'm paying around 1.40/lb. Save some $$ and get one that's not trimmed.

3. I look for one that has a flat that doesn't taper off drastically; I want a consistent (as much as possible) thickness. Granted an untrimmed whole brisket will have a fat cap, but I also look for one that doesn't seem to have a huge amount on fat.

4. Typing's no problem; that's what this site is for! Here's a handy link from Chris... brisket

Paul

Here in Seattle, the only grocery store I can purchase an untrimmed brisket is at Albertsons. I'm paying $2.50 per pound and they average 12 to 13 pounds.

Good luck!

Its really interesting to hear the different prices of meat across the nation. I was just at SAMS, they Had CAB flats for $3/lb...I consider that pretty high. But CAB is worth it. I buy whole CAB packers from my butcher for an average of $1.50/lb In the summer it is not uncommon for CHOICE briskets for 99 cents/lb. I do not like any of the fat trimmed. To seperate the point from the flat takes 5 seconds. Dont know why people would pay 2 bucks more a pound for that. Plus...I love the point..burnt ends rule.

CAB packers in Nashville for 1.60/lb.

I've never seen choice under 1.30/lb in the few years I've been buying them in Nashville.

FWIW, I wouldn't cook a select brisket, but since I never have any trouble getting CAB - my decision is much easier.

If you have Sams/Costco near you, they should carry full choice/cab packer briskets at 1.50-1.85/lb.

Basically, you just want to trim the fat on the all fat side to 1/4 in. or so, then cut out big chunks of fat on the top side (there will be huge hunks).

thanks for the help. i dont mind leaving the point on . my brother made burnt brisket beans with it. just the good chuck of the burnt tip and a can of ranch style beans

The point is delicious. I dont know why people cook just the flats. I prefer to cook packers in the 8-10lb range. I make them on my kettle often

Originally posted by Damon Vasquez:
7.99 a pound trimmed
icon_eek.gif
Stay away from that place.

Damon.I pay from 2 to 3 a pound. Usually near the 2 mark. Sams Club or Costco. At Sams Club I just ask the butcher to bring out a few packer and pick the one I want. They have the trimmed ones in the case and sometimes a full. But I want a choice.Smart and Final is another place to get meat like trip tips ribs etc and some store carry brisket. I don't always trim my brisket. When they are cooked the excess fat comes off easy, it is just a little messy.

Damon, you can find select and sometimes choice briskets and Smart and Final for $1.89 a lb and the same at Save Mart for around $1.99 a lb.

I do very little trimming of my briskets, maybe a little of the hard fat on the side and that's about it.

Back