Newbie(almost) from Detroit.

RonB

Long time kettle user looking to take it to another level. I have not purchased as my local shop is waiting for an 18.5 to arrive later this week from their other shop. I was told by a friend to just get a Brinkman but in research found out too many mods necessary to dial it in. Naturally I gravitated towards the Weber name and I should be just fine. I have wanted a BGE for almost a year but can't justify the cost. Going the WSM route, I'll be saving nearly a grand when all said and done. With that said, I want to make my kettle and smoker "built in". I have a new patio with an area for the grills and wondering if anyone has built it their WSM using paver blocks? Or if can direct me to plans, etc that would be helpful. This'll serve the purpose of looking nice with having everything together but more importantly, should help keep the young kids more safe and reduce the risk of potential injury.
Thanks and I look forward to joining the WSM family!
Ron

Welcome. I was close to investing in BGE as well. I saved some cash and am extremely happy with the WSM. I know a lot of guys build things around their cooker for different reasons. I can't imagine paver blocks not working but I would take a someone's advice that has experience in them. You need to be able to access the bottom vents, door and lid during a cook. When lighting the unit you will need to take the middle and lid off the base to start the charcoal as well. Its a little more difficult to "build in" then your standard gas grill or something like that.

Thanks Tommy! Glad you're happy with the WSM and do not have regrets passing up the BGE.
As far as the build goes, I definitely have access doors/ventilation in mind and may keep the front fully open for ease of access. I guess back to scouring the net for ideas, and then running with it from there.
The shop did receive the smoker yesterday and I already picked it up but it's still in my truck. With temps around here barely making it out of the single digits, my initiation will not be for a while!

Thanks again!
Ron

Welcome to the group Ron. -29c here and I'm planning on doing a chicken in my kettle tonight, hopefully it will be up to -15 by then. Suck it up and get your butt out there.

Welcome to the group Ron. -29c here and I'm planning on doing a chicken in my kettle tonight, hopefully it will be up to -15 by then. Suck it up and get your butt out there.

I love that.

Ya Ron...don't let the weather hold you back. I am located 2 hours down the road from you. Last night was bitter cold....what I cooked:

2dmb9v.jpg

All shut down:

2i1o9wi.jpg

Thanks Bob & Hoss!
Kettle cooking isn't the issue, I just don't want to screw things up too bad on my first WSM cook! Tomorrow will be my day to cut teeth. Hope to have pics of a successful session!

Thanks Bob. Went through the seasoning process but couldn't take it so ran up to the store for some bacon and chicken thighs. Wowza, this is going to be fun!

Single digits...pah! Tropical!
Man-up Ron & get cooking! ;)
Look forward to your first cook, & welcome.
:D

Back