Newbee

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm thinking about buying a WSM. Is it better than a standard wood burner? How do they differ in the out come of the meat?

"Better" is a matter of opinion. The fact is the WSM is easier to control than most other pits. It is capable of holding a temperature for a considerable length of time with little or no intervention.

I don't think the meat comes out tasting any different than with a wood burner. Most (if not all) of us here have made some fine 'Q with the WSM.

I rate the WSM a great bargain compared to all of the smokers I looked at before making my purchase. I looked 4 months at scores of smokers and Im very pleased with my purchase. I think the thing is awesome.

IMO it's easier than the std wood burner and for me that is better. I used an offset some and found it required huge amounts of fuel and I was not cooking for huge amounts of people. I followed some suggestions and used more wood and ended up with too much smoke flavor for me.

If you want to tend the fire constantly, go with an offset. If you want to relax and do a few other things while on a long cook, and still produce great Q, join the WSM parade. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

Well, I bought the WSM. I was standing at BBQ galore at 9:45am this morning waiting for the 10 o'clock open... They let me in early. The only WSM they had left was the floor model... HEHEH No wasting time puttin it together! By 10:20 I had her fired-up! 250 deg. I have read you should "burn-in" but I can't wait. I had already prepared a 7.5 lb. brisket last night in anticipation. Why waste charcoal... I burning in with a brisket! I'm having no problem keeping between 220-250. I understand 250 might be a bit high, But I believe after a few burn-ins it will go down! Waiting for the 170 to do the foil thing... One problem. When I do a Tri-Tip on my rotisserie. It takes about 2 hrs. and 3 to 4 beers.... At this rate I might be up to 12 or so when my meat is done!... Oh well!

Thanks for all your help!!!

Skip

Okay now. Got to 165 internal temp on the brisket after 5 hrs. I just had to cut a tip off the edge... WOW... Nice job... I little dry but really good taste. I took the foil method with about a cup of AJ heated to 200 ish... Letting the meat cook for a few hrs more. Just letting you all know about my exiting new adventure! Hope all is good for you!!!

Welcome, Skip! You already know that this site is the source of an incredible amount of great information, so enjoy the WSM and share the adventure with the rest of us.

Okay... got to 192deg.. HUNGARY! Letting the beast rest for a bit while I clean the grills and such... So far so good... Like the "Pam spray" but you do see (and srub) where you missed... Next time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Steve you mention ECB.. (NEWBEE HERE) what is an ECB? I have used my Lynx with the rotis on prime rib and stuff... I have no clue what a ECB is?!?! taste test to follow!!!

Thanks again to all for your input!!!

Skip

Well, Not as good as I hoped for... Chuck it up to newbie! Meat was very tasty... A bit under done I think? It will make for a great pot of chili and reheated sandwiches. It seemed a bit (springy? Grisly?) underdone??? I guess I was to anxious?? This BBQing is an "art" that I will grow to love and master...With all your in put!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Again thanks to all...

I've never cooked a good brisket without foil. I like to start fat down for 2 hours then fat up for 3 to 6 hours then fat down and foiled until tender about an internal of 195 to 200.
Good choice and good luck /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Konrad,
I still think the jury is out on foiled briskets. I've been to a couple of classes (same as you), yet, I keep coming back to cooking the brisket, fat side down the entire cook. I add some thick bacon on top, or a butt cooking over it, and have been personally pleased, even if those dang judges can't tell a good brisket from the side of a barn. HA!

Guess I'll never see one of them 180's for my brisket. Usually come in about 5th on em.

Dale

ECB = Extremely Cheap Brinkmann / El Cheapo Brinkmann = that *other* bullet smoker.

If I'm reading this right, you put a 7.5 lb brisket on at 250* for around 8 hours until it hit 192 internal. I think 8 hours is a little early to be pulling it but 192 is pretty close to done. Could have let it get to 195-200 before pulling.

Springy is okay. Gristly - did you cut it against the grain?

Still, I commend you for attempting brisket on your first cook.

My first brisket was a disaster. I tried to foil but did not cook it nearly long enough. The foil was full of juice. I tried to put it back on to cook it longer and it dried out. It was about a 2-3 lb flat.

My second brisket (a 7 lb flat from Sam's) was another story. I used no foil. I did use a vinegar based mop for the first few hours of the cook. I cooked it for 13.5 hours. The brisket turned out as teneder, juicy, and delicious as I had hoped. Beautiful smoke ring, delicious bark, and burnt ends. I recommed cooking a brisket for 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. It looked so good I took a picture:

LinkPhoto

Ribs are an easy satisfying cook. I have cooked BRITU for my family and we all love it. Just don't over apply the rub or it will be too salty.

Mmmmm, good lookin brisket Blake!

Cool thing about the WSM is that you can set it to smokin and go to bed, who woulda thunk it?!

Hay all... Thanks for the input... My major malfunction... I was to impatient.! That was it!! final... A learning experience. I cooked it in the oven the next day for 3 hrs at 250* ...It was tender & tasty... You all are right... at least 1.5 hrs per lb. on brisket... Thanks again... And Look out pork butts... I'M SMOKEN!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back