New Zealand Frenched Lamb Rack

elmo

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys,

The loblaws in my area has a very good special on the New Zealand frenched lamb rack. I saw very good reviews on the taste and quality of this lamb on the net so i will get some to BBQ on my performer this week. But i need some advice please.

I will begin by thawing the lamb in the fridge overnight as it is frozen but the day before i cook it, is it better to buse brine to season it or just rub it with seasoning like olive oil crushed garlic, salt & pepper and throw it in the fridge for a day before cooking. I saw a video on the net of a cook that left the rack in brine overnight and said it is better this way but not sure why. He used a tablespoon of salt for a liter of water and added some spices to it.

The other thing is i decided not to sear the lamb for a few mins at the beginning and that i will use indirect heat directly on my performer.

But any idea on what is best temp to maintain for the indirect heat cooking with lamb racks and how long it should take. I want to cook well done and if i am not mistaken, this will be internal temp of 150 F, is that correct?

This is my first time to BBQ lamb and first time with this New Zealand product and i am hoping it will be great. Even after the special, i find it not cheap at $7.99 CAN/Lb but i am hoping that it will be worth it. I will be taking pics of the cooking process this time.

Just hoping i will be able to buy some tomorrow or tonight before the special ends. Went yesterday and they were sold out.

elmo

I was lucky and found some in stock in a store nearby. I will take them out from freezer and put them in fridge to thaw overnight and will season them tomorrow.

I am still in need of some cooking advice with these please. thanks

elmo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
I was lucky and found some in stock in a store nearby. I will take them out from freezer and put them in fridge to thaw overnight and will season them tomorrow.

I am still in need of some cooking advice with these please. thanks

elmo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elmo
G'Day. Lamb is my favourite by far. Brined, rubbed, marinated - all the same great flavour of the lamb still prevalent. I cook Lamb on the medium side of medium rare to medium, it remains moist and full of flavour, overcooking tends to toughen and drain some of the natural flavours. Obviously you have reasons for cooking it well done. I would do this if I was you. as they are racks the meat thickness will not be too thick. Make a brine solution of 3 tbs salt, 3 tbs white sugar, 1 tsp granulated garlic flakes or 1/2 tsp fesh minced garlic and 1/2 tsp of mustard powder to 1 litre of water.
Brine the racks for 4 hours, remove from the brine and rinse under running water and pat dry.
Brush with oil and season with S&P and sprinkle with rosemary.
Preheat the Performer to 375 (bottom and top vents completely opened and about 50 briquettes.
Sear lamb for 1 - 2 minutes (Lid on)c heck colour after 1 minute. Cook indirect for about 30 minutes and check internal temp. Temp should be 72 C or 160 F for well done adjust cooking time as required. The juices will have a pinkish hue from the brining process - the salt holds the juices. I find with Lamb it is best to rest it by wrapping in foil and placing in an insulated box and covering with several old towels. Resting time should ideally be 1/2 the cooking time.

For a different clean flavour mix two parts lemon juice and one part olive oil together first and then brush liberally before seasoning.

Hope this helps

Oh man, I love lamb too! Boneless leg of lamb is my favourite thing that comes off the smoker, and New Zealand has some of the very best. Up until recently I bought it at Costco, but they've changed suppliers and the price has jumped so I haven't had it in a while.
I know it's not the same as a rack, but I use a standard dry rub, applied lightly. I like to foil it for a short while near the end of the cook with a little white wine and apple cider vinigar in the foil for steam and flavour.
Lamb doesn't need much help in the flavour department, so 'easy on the spices' seems to be the rule of thumb.
Now I'm jonesin' for lamb. I might have to try and search out a reasonably priced leg today.

Back