New Year's Day Dinner

Dan Quinlan

TVWBB Member
I've got 3 racks of spares going for NYD dinner. Fighting the weather a bit, so we're rolling at about 240* . Here's the "before" shot:

1.1.2010.ribs.raw.jpg

3 hours on and the wind just really kicked in a bunch - 25* air with wind chill at 13*. It dropped my WSM temp by 15* so far - firing up another 40 briquettes in the chimney to help get the temp up a bit.... we'll see. Maybe it's time to ask Santa to make a late delivery of a Guru BBQ Jacket.

Final product - the racks on the top grate (top two in picture) were actually less done than the rack on the lower grate. Has anyone else seen this happen when cooking in very cold & windy conditions - the lower grate suffering less heat loss than the upper grate?

1.1.2010.Ribs.Done.jpg

Thanks, Jason. Actually, they probably could have used another hour for my liking, but the wind was just too bad. I think I like cooking them at little higher temp then I could muster today. Next time, I'll probably finish them in the oven. Regardless, the judges (my wife and kids) were happy, and that's what counts.

Back