New WSM w/Bad Parts

Sam Chambers

I got my new 18.5" WSM today, and ran into a problem. The 4 internal brackets appear to be the wrong parts. The holes in the brackets are about an inch (or so) farther apart than the corresponding holes in the body.

I immediately called Weber, and they're sending replacement brackets. (Not a huge deal, since I can't fure it up until the weekend anyway.) I'm thinking I may have gotten the brackets from the 22.5" model by mistake. Can anyone confirm that? I could easily drill holes in the straps, but I wonder if they're too long.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

If they are from the 22 and they sound like they are, they will be too long with that new style water pan.

Originally posted by timothy:
Sam.
You could check the grill straps sizes here on the 08 18.5" WSM compared to the 22.5"
HTH

Tim

Thanks, Tim. The holes are 7.25" apart, while the holes in the body are 6" apart.
That means the straps are Part #63021, which are for the 22.5" model, rather than Part #84201 for my 18.5" model.

Hopefully, the new straps will be here by the weekend, so I can fire the beast up for the first time!

Sam,
Opened my new WSM last night and started putting it together. I had the wrong grill straps too. Called customer service and had the nicest woman. They are overnighting them and hopefully will be here tommorrow.
Looking at the manual the 22.5 inch has 2 "steps" on the bottom the 18.5 has only 1 step.
Best of luck!

We may have spoken to the same woma, Brian. She was very helpful, and apologized up and down about the mixup. She was very concerned about making sure I had the replacements in time for July 4th.

While there may be a little quality control issue on the packaging line, I couldn't be happier with Weber's customer service.

Sam
Got mine yesterday morning, in enough tough to start some baby back ribs. When I spoke to them it was Tuesday evening and they were overnighted the next day.
Hoping yours get to you today.

The correct straps arrived today, and "R2" ( as my family calls my WSM) is fully assembled, awaiting his first smoke on July 4!

Back