New WSM - Vent Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt A

TVWBB Member
Hi all. First let me say thank you for all the great info on this site. I've just fired up my new WSM and have a question. One of the bottom vents doesn't have the same tight fit as the other two. It will stay in any position but it feels very loose. I just purchased this unit new from Amazon (from the link on this site). The reason I ask is because I'm cooking a butt using the Mr. Brown recipe. My lid temp went up to 285 (oops) so I closed all vents. It's been about 60 minutes and my temp appears to have stabilized at 270 (at the lid). All vents are still closed and it's about 65 outside with a steady rain. Do I need a few more uses to figure out if it's just running hot or if I have a problem with the vent? Or should I be concerned about the vent regardless? Thanks.

Matt

Matt,
All of the lower vents on my WSM are fairly loose and have been that way almost since I bought it. I don't really have any problems controlling the temperature, but because they are loose it makes them a little bit tough to set accurately. I don't know of any way to make them tighter unless you drill out the original rivets and reattach them like Chris did on the Little Red Bullet. I found that after awhile you can anticipate these temp spikes and adjust your vents before the temp goes too high. At least that has been my experiance. Good luck and enjoy Mr. Brown.
Don

New WSMs normally run hotter.
After a few cooks, when the inside get nice and dull, the temperatures will start and stay lower.
I wouldn't worry about the one vent. As long as it shuts down, the looseness shouldn't be a problem.
If the temperature problem persists, check to make sure all sections fit together tightly. Sometimes an out-of-round section will allow a huge air leak.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info. The temps have come back down to where I want them. Sounds like I shouldn't worry about the vent. Can't wait for dinner.

Matt,

I wouldn't worry about the vent, as long as it's securely attached. As you use your unit and everything gets nice and gunked up, the other vents will probably loosen up a bit, and you'll forget all about it. My vents all felt a little different when my unit was new, but they all feel the same now. The WSM will never be airtight, although it will get better with use (mine did, anyway), so long as you resist the temptation to clean it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good luck!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back