new wsm/how much is too much?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

so I'm assembling my new wsm, and I've got questions about how much is too much with regard to defects:

the porcelin finish is flaking on most exposed edges. I mean like more than 1/4-inch chunks. brushing the paper towel I was using to get the metal splinters was enough to pull off most of the porcelin around the edge of the bottom bowl. will this continue, and should I care?

the top grate rocks on the supports, because two of the supports are about an inch lower than the other two. it seems like that's a little far to bend the grate to fit. at first I thought I assembled it wrong, but otherwise it looks like the pictures, and it seems like this is pretty hard to mess up. is this normal?

thanks.

scott

Scott--I just got my WSM also. I noticed no flaking of the enamel anywhere on it.

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, as far as the uneven grill supports (straps), I would first check to see that the bolt holes on the center section are the same distance from the top edge of the center section (mine are 1 1/2" from the very top edge). If those bolt holes are the same distance from the top and all four grill supports are the same length (mine are 8 3/4"), then I'm stumped as well. If you must bend the grill, then something is definitely not right IMHO. I'm thinking the holes for the supports were possibly mis-drilled.

Tom

Sounds like major defects to me. If I were you I would call em up and see about shipping it back and getting another one. Otherwise, you will never be happy with it.

Danny Hardesty

Metal splinters? I've never heard of WSM defects of the magnitude you're describing. Usually the only "defects" we hear of are from shipping damage, and are not by definition defects. Where did you get it?

I recently dealt with a charcoal bowl that had porcelain coming off the rim in a fashion that sounds similar to this. The porcelain came off in sharp, splinter-like pieces, actually causing minor cuts on my fingers when handling the bowl.

A bowl in this condition should be replaced by Weber for free.

Regarding the top grate, make sure all grill straps are installed in the correct orientation, as shown in this photo.

Next, follow Tom's advice and make sure the holes are all drilled at the same location in the middle section. If not, the middle section needs to be replaced. I've never heard of this problem before, but I guess it's possible.

If the middle section is OK, then take off all the grill straps and compare them to make sure they're all the same length and drilled the same way. If not, the grill straps need to be replaced.

Please report back on what the resolution is on the grate. Would be good info to include on the Parts Troubleshooting page.

Good luck,
Chris

My top grate rocks a little too but nothing like you describe. I just spin it about 45* and it seats solid.

I agree with everyone else - if I bought it locally, I'd take it back, else I'd call Weber first thing Monday.

I bought mine from a local Mom&Pop Hardware store (before I knew about going through TVWB to Amazon). I paid $179 and it came pre-assembled. I was told that they did that just so they'd know everything was okay and done right. (And it was but I re-assembled it anyway.) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I got it from amazon (which brings up the question of how we can be sure chris got the referral fee. when I linked originally, the address line seemed to have a reference to this site. the order page address didn't. but I digress...). the box was undamaged when I got it.

the splinters I'm talking about were (I'm assuming) machining/stamping remnants that were stuck on the rims of the lower bowl and center section, and sliding around in the lower bowl. I've still got a few left in my hands and boy, for such a tiny little metal spec, they'll sting and make your hands bleed pretty good.

so after the third splinter in the palm, I wised up and got some wet paper towels and tried to wipe as many of them up as I could. when I wiped around the rims of the lower bowl and center section, the porcelin flaked off all around the rims in about 1/4" chunks. and the center section has a minor out-of-round condition as described on this site. I figured nothing is perfect, so I went with it. bad idea?

I bent the top grate as much as I thought I could and let it wobble the rest of the way.

the straps are all the same (well, the holes are *slightly* off), it's the center section holes that are drilled off-level.

and besides, I *really* wanted a brisket, so I smoked one last night. see new post for questions on that.

so, I was going to just use the thing, but if I should be calling weber (like if the thing will die a premature death), I will.

on a side note, that's the first time I've used a chimney starter, and those things are a gift from god. wow.

thanks, y'all.

scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scott:
[qb]The splinters I'm talking about were (I'm assuming) machining/stamping remnants that were stuck on the rims of the lower bowl and center section, and sliding around in the lower bowl.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Those are sharp pieces of porcelain, not metal pieces from machining or stamping. After the sections are fabricated, the porcelain enamel is applied and then fired, resulting in a perfectly smooth finish. What you found on the edge of the bowl, and fragments in the bottom of the bowl, are brittle pieces of very sharp porcelain, just like glass.

Regarding whether TVWB got credit for your purchase, as long as you clicked on an Amazon.com link on this site and put the WSM in your shopping cart during that visit without leaving Amazon, then TVWB gets credit.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back