New WSM coming soon, what mods do I need?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
As some of you know, I am getting a new WSM 2009 series in a few weeks. In anticipation, I thought I would get your opinion on what mods I will need to make. Since this model comes with the lid thermometer, improved grate and the larger pan, I'm good there, but is there anything else you would recommend? I've read talk about an "eyelet", not sure if that is especially important but any suggestions on key mods is appreciated. Also, will it be ready to cook after assembly or will it need to be seasoned somehow?

David, none. If I were to do one, I would wire the charcoal grate to the charcoal ring. Use stainless steel wire. I have done an eyelet but have not used it in well over a year.

Perhaps more important would be the work area next to the wsm. I like to prep and rub outside next to smoker.

This is the new model?? Didn't think they were out just yet!

Assuming nothing has changed, you can use it right out the box without the need to "season" although some people will anyways. It definately runs hotter the first few cooks so just be aware and cut back a bit on the lit coals to start.

My mods included adding handles to the middle section and purchasing a clay base to sit in my water pan as a heat sink. All of these are optional and it runs well just the way it is sent to you.

David, i used mine right out of the box as it came.

I realized right away, when I needed to add coal, that handles were needed. $2 a pop at Lowes for black ones.

well first things im doing to my 22" wsm when i get it is add handles to middle section and throw the heat shield out since it cant be easily removed for cleaning. the 18" i can remove the section easily with handles but a 22" gonna need some

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
well first things im doing to my 22" wsm when i get it is add handles to middle section and throw the heat shield out since it cant be easily removed for cleaning. the 18" i can remove the section easily with handles but a 22" gonna need some
Jon - It is my opinion that the heat shield is also a structural element, it serves to keep the legs from splaying outward when the WSM is loaded. Your WSM will likely collapse if you attempt to cook without the heat shield installed.

Chris - Can you confirm my opinion with Weber engineering? Their structural analysis is certainly much more relevant than my engineering judgment of this matter.

Jim

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Chris - Can you confirm my opinion with Weber engineering? Their structural analysis is certainly much more relevant than my engineering judgment of this matter.
I don't have any information about it being a structural element. It does not appear to be structural. It just hangs off of tabs on the legs and does not appear to be load-bearing.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
I don't have any information about it being a structural element. It does not appear to be structural. It just hangs off of tabs on the legs and does not appear to be load-bearing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris - I'd hate to see a tragedy occur because someone thinks they know how to design a 22" WSM better than the Weber engineers have. No one here has any reason to believe a thing I say or to listen to my concerns. From a liability standpoint Weber deserves an opportunity to warn of any unsafe modifications to their products being contemplated for their products.

Two months ago nobody imagined the Pro-Q smokers collapsing under the weight of charcoal, water and meat while cooking; let alone collapsing under their own weight while being transported. Like the Pro-Q, Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers are not exempt from standard rules for structural design.

i'm not an engineer but 'am someone who is veru mechanically inclined. i looked at the heat shield setup and don't see it as a structural part. that being said i see that the shield can be modded so that it could easily be taken off for cleaning.

Nothing to the 22". I've cooked (and won championships) with WSMs since 2002. The only mod I made to the 18" was a bigger water pan. My thermometer was the one God gave me, the palm of my hand. The new thermometer will probably throw me off my game
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't suffer from WSM cleaning OCD. One trip a year to a pressure washer is good enough for me. So the Heat shield is being installed and left well alone.
icon_confused.gif
OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Just a reminder...purchasing a WSM at Amazon.com is one of the most powerful ways you can help provide financial support to keep TVWB running. I will post links as soon as Amazon starts taking orders for 2009 WSMs.

Thanks for your consideration,
Chris

Back