New WSM 22.5 OR Kettle with Cajun Bandit?

Bill Dials

I have studied the topics on that Cajun Bandit conversion for a 22.5 OTS kettle and I know the WSM quite well having the newer 18.5" version.

I'm at a point I want to replace my old NBBD offset and wonder if I should add the WSM 22.5 to my collection OR get a new 22.5 kettle and the Cajun bandit conversion. Reason I ask is I want to be able to rotisserie chicken or prime rib with the Weber Rotisserie. Will that fit a 22.5 WSM? Anyone have one on a WSM?

I search archives--could not find out.

I love my 18.5 WSM...(I do think it is superior to my NBBD offset)...I'm torn as to what to really do here...

Thanks for any opinions...

I've owned a 18 inch WSM and now use a Performer with a CB whenever I need that much capacity...which is becoming rare.

If I already had a WSM and didn't have a kettle, I would definitely go with the CB and a Performer, but I think the Performer is the best thing that ever happened to grilling.
icon_wink.gif

I don't think I would enjoy the CB as much as I do without the performer, but I'd still recommend it if you can find a cheap OTG off Craigslist simply because it would work just as well and would be about half the price. If price is no object, then I would go with the Performer and the CB.

There are only 2 issues with the CB in my opinion. Both minor. 1) it drips a little down the side while in use. Not a big deal but might bother you if you are a neat freak and 2) You have to really crank it down to keep the temps low. I usually run it with top vent open and bottom vents closed to keep it in low and slow temps (it holds low temps fine with this set up though.) Also, the CB is painted steal and not enamble coated which might be an important consideration for you.

OTOH, the CB cheaper, the door is better, the water bowl is bigger and it has stock handles.

Hope this helps.

BTW, there is no wrong answer to this question.

Thanks allot Justin and Andy--I really am a 90% low/slow BBQer but when the prime rib, turkey or chicken comes around then the rotisserie is really my choice (with higher temps).

I guess, my basic question boils down to, will Weber's rotisserie ring fit the 22.5 WSM.

I have a large (dare I say) gas grill for a quick evening hamburger...or sausages for a large party.

Weber answered:

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately the 22.5" Kettle Rotisserie will not fit the 22.5" Smokey Mountain Cooker charcoal smoker. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Well, I guess, that---is that!

That's really odd. I have what I believe is the One Touch 22.5, and I know I have the WSM 22.5. I've put the rotisserie on the wsm and it fits just fine! I do know that when it's on my kettle, a lot of air leaks in, but as you mention, it's not a problem since I cook chicken at high temps.

I'm starting to wonder if that's their "official reply" because it could make the WSM too top heavy and it fall over--legs on the kettles have a wider footprint.

Around here 22" kettles are a dime a dozen on craigslist. If you have a rotisserie ring I'd jump on a Cajun Bandit and look for a used OTG.

With that combination, you won't be disappointed.

IMO-Weber dropped the ball on the 22" WSM, it could have been so much more cooker if it was rotis compatible or the lid fit on the bowl like a kettle. But then they want you to buy a kettle. The Cajun Bandit mod solves all that!

I have both and prefer the Cajun Bandit, as I am really into rotis cooking at the moment!

IMG_1637_1.jpg

Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
Since you already have a WSM, I would get a kettle, preferably the Performer. You will not be dissapointed.

Agreed. But if it's a question of dollars (or the need for a side table with a gas-fired charcoal starter - superfluous, IMHO), why not just the OTG???

I have the new 18 1/2" WSM and recently purchased the 22 1/2" kettle gold and the rotisserie along with a huge gas grill,for the normal person,you have all you need. I have more than enough room for alot of meat and choices.

Originally posted by R L Bagwell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
Since you already have a WSM, I would get a kettle, preferably the Performer. You will not be dissapointed.

Agreed. But if it's a question of dollars (or the need for a side table with a gas-fired charcoal starter - superfluous, IMHO), why not just the OTG??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The performer is strong enough to hold the CB in stock condition. The OTG would only hold the CB if you install the extra legs...at which point is becomes kinda short to grill on.

Besides, the performer offers more than a table and a starter (even though those two things are worth the money if you have it to spend). It also comes with the charcoal rails, a lid holder, a thermometer, a little plastic handle on the top vent, a place to hold charcoal, a tool rack, etc.

Back