New WSM 22.5 First Cook

Brian Curtis

TVWBB Member
Hope this is not an old question, I did a search, but did not see what I needed.
I barbecued some marinated chicken Sat., used more charcoal then I needed, probably two thirds of a 22lb. bag of Kingsford, to see how long it would hold a cooking temp. Used almost 1.5 chimneys unlit in the bottom with 3/4 of one lit to get the rest going, with all vents open as per instructions of the "Low and Slow" book. Don't tell anyone I used Kingsford. Temp got to 300F. on the grates per oven thermometer and with the nice Weber thermometer on the cover. Since it was my first cook I let it run to see if the temp would come down, by the way I live in Florida and outside temp was at least 90F. and the temp. held a steady 300F. Closing the bottom vents by two thirds did not affect the temp much at all, maybe cooled to 290F. After an hour an a half took the chicken off, and it was the best I've ever eaten, the moistest I've ever seen. I kept checking the temps and after three hours with all vents now open after taking the chicken off, the temp was down to 275F. and 250F. at four hours. The huge water pan barely used any water, maybe less then 25%.

I've probably rambled on to much, sorry, but my biggest question is, with spare ribs, do I start with less charcoal to try and keep the temp. at 275F. or lower, or do I use the same amount and close my lower vents quicker, and how much. With more experience I'll find out anyway, but wanted to get a little jump on my situation from you guys.

From the way the chicken came out, yeah I know, it's hard to ruin, how will the spare ribs turn out if the temp. is mostly 300F.? My guess they would still be better then anything you could do on the best gas grill, but will they be the best that a WSM can do? Again I will find all this out as I get used to the WSM, so hope I have not offended anyone.

One thing I forgot to mention, I only had one 5lb. chicken on the grill, which would make the WSM run hotter along with to much charcoal for the cook.

Okay, I guess I jumped the gun to quick, found an article on temp. control that new WSM's run hotter, should have perused the site a little more.
I'm outta here, will be lurking around, lot of good stuff on this site.

Back