"New" Weber!

PetefromGuelph

Was looking for a BBQ for the cottage - there was a "Fiesta" there but it was rusted beyond recognition. I started the hunt online and found a beautiful Redhead :redgenesis1: for $50. It was a natural gas model that had a propane conversion manifold with it. It needed flavor bars but everything else seemed good. Turned out it need a connector for the manifold that I could not seem to find anywhere... I found ANOTHER Genesis with a broken lid that had the connector. Success!

SO - my redhead :redgenesis1: is working beautifully and now and has taken up residence at our home and we took our Silver A up to the cottage. I have ordered the flavor bars for the Redhead and am looking at the wood (durawood?) for possible replacement. The slats seem easy enough and I have seen some amazing restorations on this forum. The handle has split right down the middle though. Is this something I can purchase new OR do I need to wait until another Weber comes up and steal the handle off of it? They come up very rarely here so that could take a while. I have also seen a 1x2 solid piece of wood in there as a replacement.

As for the parts BBQ I got, I am keeping the flavor bars and burners as replacements for my cottage BBQ. For $20 I could not go wrong. I may turn the frame into a rolling BBQ cart maybe with an integrated cooler. If I do that I will definitely post pics!

Also, I believe this Redhead is an 1100 LX? It was originally Natural Gas but is now Propane. The serial starts with EE (1999) and the model number is 310000.

Thanks!

Silver A heading to the cottage...

Before restore:

After restore:

The durawood slats usually are in good condition, they are easy to sand & restain,
In our area you might get another handle from a grill every year or 2!
I'd make one that's solid & stain it to match.
I was missing several slats for side shelves so cut down bamboo cutting boards to fit

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I think I will do the solid handle and stain it. One of the slats is pretty "warped" and will need to be replaced. If I sand down the rest I may be able to match a new one. Thanks again guys!

That bamboo looks great, I've never seen bamboo used for the side boards before, but what a great idea!

Actually no it's not. Having bought a couple bamboo cutting boards I will not be fooled again. They are awful. They split at the slightest sign of moisture. Use the slats made from redwood or cedar they will truly hold up to the weather. I did try once cutting down one of those plastic cutting boards many people use but they stain it seems they oxidize badly and end up looking like crap and lastly they melt (not good eats). Weber had it right with the wood slats

I'm a big fan of Durawood, the slats on my upgraded 1000 LX are 18-20 years old and have stayed in excellent condition. Maintenance free and easy to clean.
When I put my 1000 grill into a 3000 frame I wanted a lot of shelf space so I changed out the side burner for a shelf and added a right side flip up shelf all in Durawood, function over beauty and high maintenance.
S1031100_zpsmlp4scnf.jpg

DSCN2766_zpsizmvmatf.jpg

Back