New Weber Performer, smoke seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Bocanegra

HI, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Just yesterday I went to the H D to buy some hickory chunks for my tri tip and brinkmann ECB. I noticed they had a performer assembled outside with missing parts and a little bit dusty with a cracked table(repairable). So I asked and got it for $150.

Wow, I love this cooker. But one thing I noticed is that when I had it heavily smoking, some of the smoke(very little) would come off from where the lid rest on the kettle. and some from the thermometer assembly(handle dual function thermometer type). Is this normal?

Second, I was able to get 250-280 degrees for about 5 hours with two charcoal fuel baskets (used hickory hardwood briquettes from royal oak, 100% natural-good stuff). When done cooking I closed all vents and today in the morning I had one full basket still full!!. I am impressed. Question is, can I get 225 with out having the charcoal die out?.

Third and final question, my performer is only missing the lid holder assembly. It has two holes where the handle bar would be, but I covered with aluminum foil. I cannot seem to be able to find this part online or at the store. Should I give weber a call for it under warranty? dont really need it if I have to pay, but it would be nice to have it.

Thanks and sorry for all those question from a new guy.

The smoke around the lid is pretty normal for these grills. Don't sweat it you are not losing enough heat and smoke to worry. The lid holder parts can be ordered from Weber on the phone. Mention that your table is cracked, there is a warranty on the table. They sent me a new one pretty quick when mine cracked. Tell them that the retailer sold it with the missing parts and they may send you those in the mail free. I am surprised you got it missing parts. I work for the Orange store. When we are missing parts the rep for weber orders quick to get it ready to sell again.

Angel, Don't foget that there is an air intake on the tube that transports the propane to the kettle. I found that foiling it helped drop air flow and temps. Also have had the same isuue with one side of coals not burning try turning your cooking grates 90 degrees and do the same with charcoal baskets. Use 3/4 full baskets of charcoal to start and pour about 1/3 of a chimney full of what ever you're burning on top of those and your wood chips. As you stack in your coals add wood chips all the way to the bottom and you'll get a long low smoke for quite some time.

So I called weber yesterday and they will send me the led holder assembly kit but because it was a floor model, they would only give me discount on parts. $4 for the assembly kit and $30 for the table. I do fine with out the new table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back