New Weber Genesis Grill - What Would You Make First?

Since we decided to replace our grill, I have been on a big long learning curve. We have had one grill or another for a long time, but grilled in isolation. I learned the essential safety and best practices rules a long time ago, and it has served me reasonably well. Of course the food I grilled was great, because nobody in the family had anything better to compare it to. :-(

If asked, I could not name a single famous grilling chef, including the ones above. I doubt that "Julia Child" counts. I will look up the chefs you named. I am sure I can learn much from them.

If asked, I could not name a single famous grilling chef, including the ones above.

here's one that I wouldn't say is a grilling chef, but I enjoyed this series on food network.

I’d just cook whatever sounded good for the evening meal.
As for the famous grilling chef? That’s a tough one, I’m fairly impressed with things that Jacques Pépin does with a grill.

I do not intend to start any kind of "grill diary" here, but I gotta' share last night's dinner, which was marinated chicken on skewers and baked potatoes like I have never had them before. All the credit goes to my partner. She has been finding new ideas and new recipes for our grill and deserves all the credit for preparing the food. I cooked it, but her preparation was the real work. I had never cooked potatoes on the grill before. Yum!

I can't explain why our first two meals on the new grill have turned out so much better than my previous history with the old grill. A sample size of "2" is too small to be meaningful, but it is encouraging.

We like grill diaries!
Dinner sounds delicious. Prep is just as important as the actual cooking (some people even think a recipe is important too ;) JOAN - LOL) And joint efforts are the best.
As for explanation: your skills have really just improved that much! Just go with that. :D

And then there's mayo...

I've always heard that fish, especially thin white fish like flounder, are difficult to impossible on a grill (though some say use a fish basket (n)). Forget the fish basket and oil the fish AND the grates. Sometimes just common sense will get you a lot better results than "expert" advice. (And btw, thicker fish steaks like salmon, tuna, swordfish, and cod only need the fish oiled and a clean grate. Just test with a spatula and wait for the fish to release while being aware that fish cooks quickly.)

I just got mine and I plan to experiment with the stone. First step is buy some pizza dough, divide it into two smaller pieces and make some sort of flatbread, garlic naan, or focaccia. Next time I'll try for pizza.

Back