New Weber E-470 NG

Robb Kruger

TVWBB Member
We all know these things never go on sale... but the local ACE was running a truckload sale... $50 gift card for Spirit, $100 for the Genny, $200 for the Summit. I have been lusting after a Summit E470 NG since we moved to the new place and Weber was not too jazzed about helping convert my 2012 330EP to NG from LP. I showed SWMBO lighter to lift lid, the rotisserie burner, the tuck-away rotisserie motor, no more tanks to carry and you never run out of gas... and all she said is why haven't you bought it yet. Big kudos to the guys at Frannalone Ace for honoring the truckload sale reward even tho they had to order the NG model.

Guys... Meet Emma.
13346561_10210151190245023_6171388615130510240_n.jpg

Last edited:
You should really enjoy that grill. Really the only negative thing I can say is the new Weber products have the grate bars so spaced out you can drop a while T-Bone between them if not careful. So smaller foods require much more care. Otherwise you're going to enjoy the versatility and the true rotisserie

LMichaels, Agree on the bar spacing. Lost 2 zucchini slabs on the first veggie cook. Man, this thing can throw the heat! Boc Choy, bell peppers, zucchini, and then what left of the stir fry I did on the discada.

13427811_10210162997500197_664728176193706652_n.jpg

I never grilled Bok Choy. Will have to try that some time. On the grates.....................the good thing is if you wanted you could have RCPlancebuyer build a set that would be more fitting of what that grill should have in the first place. It's one of the annoyances I'm having with Weber on a personal level. At the lofty price range they're in these are the types of things they should not "cheap out" on. I just find it disappointing. Another thing that disappointed me was not long ago when my sister and BIL bought a new Genesis I was amazed at how much of that so called American made product came from China.

LM... I grill quite a bit of vegies, and boc choy is one of the kids faves. Drizzle a little sweet thai chili sauce over it. Or cast iron brussel sprouts with Sirachi, honey and lime... or my thanksgiving hash...
1398860_993769720639582_8964582655947472418_o.jpg

On the grates...... I have read a number of your well written posts on the quality or lack thereof of the Summit series grills. It almost kept me from buying one. A fool and his money... but I surmised that many of the grills were not owned by an enthusiast that maintained them in the way I will Emma, and I believe I will see less corrosion in the firebox with the use of NG as well. On the grates... I don't feel a need as of yet to replace the entire set of new grates with ones with a lesser spacing. Yes, you need to be diligent with thin vegetables like zucchini slabs or asparagus, but if one drops through, big deal. Could there be an extra bar or two on each grate to narrow the spacing, yes, but then would I complain that they get clogged up when I grill my sweet and sticky Honey Jack wings? I dunno:confused:

I did order the smoker box expansion kit (TM) for RCPlanebuyer and it should be here tonite. That I am looking forward to and for $2K Weber should just include it. Generally if I want smoke I will place a chuck of hardwood on the cook grate near the meat. The smoker box is a bit of a joke. But really, the reason I chose the E470 is that it is all in there. Sear, IR, Roto, smoker, SS grates and innards, and really that is all the size I really need even when entertaining.

Congratulations on the new grill Robb. I have an E470 and love it. I also chose that model because it has everything as well, plus it can cook a LOT of food.
If you have trouble with your food falling through the grates, you might want to try a grill pan. They work great and keep the little things in check.

I don't think I'd sell that smoker box short. It is stainless steel right? I had a very similar type one on my Genesis for many years but eventually because it was not stainless it simply rotted away. But, I used the daylights out of it. I smoked everything from ribs and briskets to even whole salmon and lake superior whitefish. Frankly I would love a setup with a dedicated smoker box and burner such as the Summit has. BTW my argument with Weber (as a whole) not just one particular model, is not that the product is "poor quality". It's that at the lofty prices the things like spacing of the grates, and so much of the product made in China really should not exist. Sure some small insignificant parts but when I put together my sister's Genesis the only things I saw that were not from China were the main stampings and the fire box casting. My other "issue" was the way my situation with my Summit was so unceremoniously "dropped" by Weber. Going from "oh sure we'll get that part right out to you since it's under warranty" "to too bad so sad" even though the part is warranty we don't have it or make it so "thanks for buying a Weber". Truly not class support especially for such an expensive unit. Heck I would have been pleased if they came back and said "so sorry for not supporting your unit" "Here is a voucher for $xx.xx off on a purchase of a new Weber grill of your choice". Nope, just dumped like a hot potato. For the record that grill was well taken care of. Failure had nothing to do with lack of maintenance. Witness my Genesis II bought 12 years before is still going strong even to the point the original burners were still in use in it up until 3 years ago and even at that it only needed one replaced. The crossover and 2 others are still in use nearly 25 years later. Thankfully once I get the time thanks to Clint I was able to purchase another panel for the fire box so my much loved Summit will be back in service soon. Would have been sooner but other projects are taking precedence not the least of which was being extremely ill due to food poisoning most of last month and much of this. (beware avocodos from Mexico).
So please don't misconstrue my opinion of your 470. I think you have one fine cooking machine there. I just wish Weber would not stoop so low to the profit gods as they're beginning to.

Back