New Weber buying ?'s

As a follow-up to my previous post regarding people's impressions of various ceramic cookers, I'm pretty set on buying a Weber. I simply can't justify the prices of the other cookers, despite some of the advantages I see.

So, now I'm trying to decide what size. I would really like to buy the 26.76" because I often cook for larger groups. However, there are a couple things that concern me, before I pull the trigger.

First off, I understand that there is not currently a rotisserie attachment for the 26.75" like there is for the 22. Does anyone have any inside info that this may change, and/or is there any after-market rotisserie option for the larger kettle?

Secondly, given the bigger volume of the larger kettle, are you able to shut down the kettle and get the fire to go out, to save some fuel. One of my biggest beefs with my current Forge grill is that I can't get the fire to go out, and lose all my charcoal with every cook.

Any other considerations that that haven't thought of?

Thanks,
Bill

I got a Performer (which has the 22 kettle) and is uses a lot less charcoal than my old barrel style. You can close the vents, and the charcoal quits burning in a pretty reasonable amount of time. I imagine the 26 is the same way.

One consideration on that 26- because I was having the same debate myself a couple weeks ago- you can buy two 22" kettles for about the same price (depending on trim level) and have a lot more versatility and cooking space.

"Does anyone have any inside info that this may change, and/or is there any after-market rotisserie option for the larger kettle?"

The ring for this rotisserie is going to be LARGE. Any company that is considering making them has to ask themselves, "How many people will be buying them?" Until the 26" reaches a critical number, it seems unlikely they will be made.

"are you able to shut down the kettle"
The size of the kettle doesn't determine if you can shut down the kettle, it's whether or not the kettle is air tight. Weber's are well made and you should be fine.

The smaller the grill, the smaller the in-direct. I think you can get more in-direct on a 26 than two 22's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The smaller the grill, the smaller the in-direct. I think you can get more in-direct on a 26 than two 22's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, Russell. That would be one advantage to a single 26 over two 22s. Of course, if he's going to do that much indirect, he needs to get a WSM.....
icon_smile.gif

I played with the 26 some in the store, and I would think that lifting that big ol' lid more than a couple times a cook would get real old, real fast.

I would say yes go for the big one, but like another poster said, you can buy TWO 22inch GOLD kettles for about the same price!
You can always use one for slower cooking and one for high heat grilling or whatever! I have an extra , smaller kettle for back up myself. I like the versatality of two kettles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dean:
I would say yes go for the big one, but like another poster said, you can buy TWO 22inch GOLD kettles for about the same price!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've said that!
icon_biggrin.gif
Still agree with it too. I'd rather get 2 x 22". I think the 26.75" is way over priced.

Doesn't the 22" WSM convert to use as a grill? I know in the instructions for my (older model) 18.5" WSM it shows how to use it as a BBQ grill (step 8 on page 9 of my WSM owner's manual).

If the 22" WSM converts that way, you could get it and a 22.5" OTG. Grill on the kettle, indirect in the WSM, and when you need 2 grills rearrange the grates in the WSM for the 2nd grill.

Maybe someone with a 22" WSM can check it out for you?

I have two kettles a performer and a 22 OTG. I wouldnt change that for anything. They honestly do come in very handy doing two different types of cooking at the same time. With the vents closed after each cook I am always able to salvage some lump for the next cook.

I vote two kettles.

I would go with the 26er, i have 2-22 kettles and a 26er, what i like about the 26er over the 22 is better temp control, can do BCC no problem with chickens hitting the lid, can do a whole turkey no matter what the size, not much diff in amount of charcoal used, i use one charcoal basket the same with the 22.

Thanks for all the good advice. I am now the proud owner of a black 22.5" One-Touch Platinum, complete with the rotisserie attachment and a pizza kettle on the way.

After a very easy assembly with my 12-year-old daughter, my first cook was simply chicken legs. Delicious and easy. Tonight I'm breaking in the rotisserie with a 3 lb pork loin roast. It's currently in the fridge marinating in an Asian inspired marinade:

Soy sauce
Hoisin
Rice wine vinegar
Sesame oil
Garlic
Ginger
White pepper

Can't wait to get it going!

Bill

Back