New Weber App out for iOS

Raleigh W.

TVWBB Member
I see that there’s a new version of the Weber app out. Says it will add remote temp control and a smoke boost. I’m hitting the road early tomorrow so I won’t be able to try it until late next week. Looking forward to hearing others results.

Ok so just updated the SF and it now has Smoke boost, remote temperature adjustment and the ability to shut it down from your phone. Very nice Weber, these are exactly the types of updates we are looking for. Just in time for Smoke Day too. I have to make a trip to the store to see what I can cook.

Since I've been back from my trip, I haven't had a chance to try out the new features. I did update the SmokeFire today. I also found the following on Weber's site. It provides some good info on the update.

New firm ware update today, Weber is doing a great job in my opinion of getting these updates cranked out.

I spent several hours trying to update last night. Android 9.7 was easy (did it 3 times) but FW and SW always failed despite everything I tried. Spent 1 1/2 hours on hold with Weber and then they kicked me off. Any thoughts?

One thing that I have noticed with the Weber updates - you can not click in real time. All of these respond very slowly and most of us like to click way too fast. I would try starting the app and let it set for 10-15 minutes. It took several minutes for the Jun OS update to appear on mine and it appears back on the settings page. All you would initially see on the front screen would be a red ball in the lower right corner. That means you have a download coming in the background. If you go to the settings page, it will tell you when it is done and how to cycle the grill to get the OS installed. Once it is installed, start the app with the new OS and walk away for thirty minutes for a Bluetooth download. Another grill cycle and you should be updated. It is a little cosmic unless you do this all the time.

One thing that I have noticed with the Weber updates - you can not click in real time. All of these respond very slowly and most of us like to click way too fast. I would try starting the app and let it set for 10-15 minutes. It took several minutes for the Jun OS update to appear on mine and it appears back on the settings page. All you would initially see on the front screen would be a red ball in the lower right corner. That means you have a download coming in the background. If you go to the settings page, it will tell you when it is done and how to cycle the grill to get the OS installed. Once it is installed, start the app with the new OS and walk away for thirty minutes for a Bluetooth download. Another grill cycle and you should be updated. It is a little cosmic unless you do this all the time.
After doing a factory reset (that took awhile to find) and following the steps, SW reloaded but FW has not updated to 4025. Powered down, unplugged, and still 4008.

Hope it works out well, Bruno. You have given the SmokeFire a good run. Your posts keep me at least thinking about getting one someday. Hopefully a few more kinks worked out by then. Still, the results you have posted are outstanding. You just got to stay on that temperamental pony and keep it on the right track :coolkettle: !

Jon,
I talked a friend out of a SmokeFire and into a rec-tec RT-700 and he is unhappy with it. He sees the food I’m putting out and now he wishes he would have gone with the SmokeFire.

Last time I recommend anything because you know if I recommend a SmokeFire and they have bad luck with it I would feel terrible.

I’m pretty comfortable making adjustments on the fly and the WSM experience I have had, has made the S.F. much easier for me too handle.
I am happy that Weber has continued to try and improve it.

I don’t mind cleaning, i don’t mind a drip pan, the rest is on Weber to nail and so far I’m content with their efforts.

Last edited:
Help! I went into the recovery mode, loaded the Android 9.7 app, paired with the SF, and the update loaded. Problem is the SF update loaded but not the FW. Still 4008. Thoughts? Went thru shutdown, powered down, unplugged, etc.

It is a two step process. After the Jun OS updates, pair the grill and your phone. Leave the phone on the grill for about thirty minutes, do a shutdown procedure, and turn your grill back on. The new firmware should load, indicated by flashing lights on the controller. After it is loaded, you can check version either on your phone or the controller.

Jon,
I talked a friend out of a SmokeFire and into a rec-tec RT-700 and he is unhappy with it. He sees the food I’m putting out and now he wishes he would have gone with the SmokeFire.

Last time I recommend anything because you know if I recommend a SmokeFire and they have bad luck with it I would feel terrible.

I’m pretty comfortable making adjustments on the fly and the WSM experience I have had, has made the S.F. much easier for me too handle.
I am happy that Weber has continued to try and improve it.

I don’t mind cleaning, i don’t mind a drip pan, the rest is on Weber to nail and so far I’m content with their efforts.

Bruno,

I have to say that the pictures you have shown are outstanding. Your patience and determination with your SmokeFire have been rewarded with some really great results. Hopefully, Weber will keep getting it better. I think, though, they have shot themselves in the foot pretty badly such that the SmokeFire is going to need a lot of "turn around" positive reviews to offset all the bad publicity if it is going to be the marketing success they had hoped for. If a used EX4 comes up cheap enough, I would be tempted to add it to my arsenal :coolkettle: !

I don't think your friend should feel bad or have bad experiences with his Rec Tec. It has consistently done a fine job for me and is a reliable workhorse. I also like the company, their enthusiastic owners, and their customer service. If I didn't already own a pellet grill now and had the money, it would be a tough choice between the two. As it is, I am waiting to see what Rec Tec comes out with next. You can be sure they have carefully watched Weber's rollout and have dissected a SmokeFire or two!

Jon, I guess he was expecting more smoke Flavor, I recommended those lumberjack charcoal pellets you like, any other thoughts on that?

Back