New Toy

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So I'd mentioned in another thread about getting a cool little pocket oscilloscope from Amazon. I got it because (follow along here), I want to put a tachometer on my Kubota. If you know about diesels this isn't so simple because there is no ignition system or anything to trigger a tach signal. Some diesels come with a tap on the alternator called ("W", "S", or "P") which can be used as a tach signal as it's straight off the field winding, giving an AC square wave output. Then this signal is used to trigger RPM count based on how many phases the alternator has. So, I took the alternator apart, found the attachment point(s) for the field coils and used a twin wire lead. hooked up to 2 different sides of the windings. Reasoning being one should work. (if not both). Tried each one on the tach, found one that is driving the tach but wanted to confirm as can only see this with a scope. So I found this little guy on Amazon (of course) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CXSL33JW?tag=tvwb-20 and gave it a whirl this AM. And I indeed confirmed I got the correct tap point. Now all I have to do is make a wire harness from the tach to the ign switch, light switch, and trigger point, install the mounting cup and the instrument and plug it all in. The photo is with the engine idling about 1050 RPM as confirmed with my laser tach (which is being used to calibrate the analogue tach). Pretty darn interesting if I say myself! Too bad about the glare from my shop lights though. But, hard to told everything take a photo and keep things steady on an idling 3 cyl diesel. Let's just say it "shakes a bit" :D

1717689490119.jpeg

Haven't you learned anything.......going round here making new threads calling them " NEW TOY " and whatnot.......
I expected to see a grill or a grill related cooking device.......nonsense.
Let's just not have that happen any more okay.......
:cool::cool::cool:;)

Haven't you learned anything.......going round here making new threads calling them " NEW TOY " and whatnot.......
I expected to see a grill or a grill related cooking device.......nonsense.
Let's just not have that happen any more okay.......
:cool::cool::cool:;)
It's why I posted where I did. Not in a grill section

Wow! Who'd have thought a DSO could be had at that price? When I sold test equipment, out cheapest 2 channel scope was just over 1K, including a good selection of accessories.

Wow! Who'd have thought a DSO could be had at that price? When I sold test equipment, out cheapest 2 channel scope was just over 1K, including a good selection of accessories.
Ummmmm.....

This was a number of years ago. A well known oscilloscope manufacturer was actually using Windows with a complete user interface overlay. And in use at a national high energy laboratory facility...... unfortunately directly connected to the Internet. The IT folks noted a lot of traffic from a network segment that was supposed to be idle. Turns out that one of said oscilloscopes had been pwned, and turned into a **** server. Hilarity ensued.

Back