New to smoked turkey

CliffLodes

Hello all! I am the usual cooker of the protein for thanksgiving, and my go-to is fried bird. This year, we have a larger contingent gathering at my house, so I will be frying one and also smoking one on my WSM. I have spatchcocked and smoked one before on my 26" kettle, but it was dryer than shoe leather.

I have looked through various brines/injections, but we are keto so I cannot do any fruit juices, nor sugars. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to have this one turn out well?

my foundation brine is:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar or 3/4 cup honey
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 gallon or so of ice cubes (7 to 10 pounds)
(edit: some times I've used less stock and more water)

You can omit the sugar. I don't think it is essential for the brine.

The amount above is for a 20+ lb turkey.

There's more in this recent thread:

I have spatchcocked and smoked one before on my 26" kettle, but it was dryer than shoe leather.

I'll be honest, for thanksgiving I like an oven roasted turkey as this is what I've had for decades, so I am clearly not the expert on smoking turkey.

However here are my notes to self:
1. quarter not spatchcock will allow you to pull the breasts when they are done and likely before the leg quarters are done.
2. wet brine is a must
3. temp probe in each breast as they may finish at different times ( I do this with quartered chicken )

@Brett-EDH and others are likely to give some good suggestions. I've have the post below bookmarked and plan on smoking a turkey one soon.

Hello all! I am the usual cooker of the protein for thanksgiving, and my go-to is fried bird. This year, we have a larger contingent gathering at my house, so I will be frying one and also smoking one on my WSM. I have spatchcocked and smoked one before on my 26" kettle, but it was dryer than shoe leather.

I have looked through various brines/injections, but we are keto so I cannot do any fruit juices, nor sugars. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to have this one turn out well?
question, truly smoked, as in 250-275F low and slow with wood chunks? or cooked at 325-350F indirect with wood chunks for smoke flavor?

the first one is a smoked turkey and the skin will be rubbery. that's a byproduct of smoked fowl. the latter is a grilled bird with smoke flavor added which delivers crispy skin and smoke flavored turkey where the smoke is not over pronounced.

i cook the latter for TG as we like a grilled bird, crispy skin and with smoke flavor added.

either way, you an achieve keto for this cook. just any wet brine, no sugar or fruit juices (24 hour brine is recommended). then an overnight drying out of the skin/bird in the fridge.

i do make a savory paste of rosemary, tarragon, thyme, black pepper and granulated garlic in evoo. run this all through the food processor or blender for a smooth paste. then apply the paste under the skin, onto the meat, and atop the skin. you can add unsalted butter pats under the skin too for additional flavor.

i recommend a 5% salinity water brine. you can use a vegetable stock instead but use unsalted or make one yourself as they're quite simple to assemble the day before.

i have found that 5% salt is an excellent ratio to have the fowl absorb the right amount of water and salt to help the protein remain very moist and juicy when cooking and done. and the flavor is balanced. not noticeably salted but flavored.

i'll watch for your reply and additional questions. this is all much easier than you might think it is.

I smoke mine for 60-90 minutes with heavy smoke then into a cooking bag and finish in the oven, just the normal salt and pepper for seasonings, I have brined a lot over the years but it's tough getting a nice bird that's not already injected , I like citrus oranges lemons even lime to brine with, then the traditional rosemary whole peppercorns ect .

question, truly smoked, as in 250-275F low and slow with wood chunks? or cooked at 325-350F indirect with wood chunks for smoke flavor?

the first one is a smoked turkey and the skin will be rubbery. that's a byproduct of smoked fowl. the latter is a grilled bird with smoke flavor added which delivers crispy skin and smoke flavored turkey where the smoke is not over pronounced.

i cook the latter for TG as we like a grilled bird, crispy skin and with smoke flavor added.

either way, you an achieve keto for this cook. just any wet brine, no sugar or fruit juices (24 hour brine is recommended). then an overnight drying out of the skin/bird in the fridge.

i do make a savory paste of rosemary, tarragon, thyme, black pepper and granulated garlic in evoo. run this all through the food processor or blender for a smooth paste. then apply the paste under the skin, onto the meat, and atop the skin. you can add unsalted butter pats under the skin too for additional flavor.

i recommend a 5% salinity water brine. you can use a vegetable stock instead but use unsalted or make one yourself as they're quite simple to assemble the day before.

i have found that 5% salt is an excellent ratio to have the fowl absorb the right amount of water and salt to help the protein remain very moist and juicy when cooking and done. and the flavor is balanced. not noticeably salted but flavored.

i'll watch for your reply and additional questions. this is all much easier than you might think it is.
325° with apple chunks. Thanks for the heads up on the brine - I appreciate it!

Back