New to me Genesis Silver B (maybe)

Ed Reed

Silver.jpg

Just picked up off Facebook, Weber Genesis Silver B I think. I'm going to clean it, paint, and gift it to my son. Has the newer replacement grill grates, the stainless rod ones, which I might keep for myself if they work better then the stamped stainless on mine. It's dirty but no apparent rust, although I won't confirm that until I take the box apart. Was the right side poly shelf an option on these, or is this missing one? Is serial number the only way to tell? Thanks for any help, I got it for $80 with a rotisserie, felt like a more then fair deal. I have one with the right side table, had it for probably 15 years, works great, no rusting, no issues. My son is looking for a house, when he gets one, I'll pass it on.

Thanks, enjoy your weekend!

I think the Silver C Premium had the right hand flip table. It can not be easily added because the cleat mentioned above by BPratt is welded to the leg. Here is a picture of the two cleats, right and left, from a Silver C Premium. These are from a 2000 (year) and I think you have a 2002 but I believe the cleats are the same.
You could keep an eye out for a donor grill and snag the parts needed (right hand leg set, end cap, table, and hinge rod). Tables are mirrored (left different from right). Meantime, enjoy the grill the way it is. You found a really nice grill.

Attachments

• L and R brackets.jpg
    L and R brackets.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 1
Oh, and the grill is actually a Silver C..... The side burner earns it the C designation.

The material used on those tables is called "Thermoset". Just FYI.
What’s the best way to clean off stains that won’t come off with a pressure washer?
Do they have to be sanded with something like a random orbital sander?

Are you talking about the Thermoset tables.
BLEACH. wet them down with straight bleach, keep them wet with bleach for about 4-5 minutes and then scrub them with a green scrubby pad. I rarely have a stain that won't come out using that method. If you do encounter stains that won't come out that way, then yes, the can be sanded and that will resolve virtually any staining. I do suggest that you don't simply spot sand however. You can concentrate on the stained area, but make sure you lightly sand the whole table. Then, when you are done with the bleach and or sander, rinse them off and let them dry completely. Then give them a coat or two of a good automotive vinyl dressing. I like to use Aerospace 303 as it is designed for the aircraft industry and has good AV protection properties. They will look like new.

Are you talking about the Thermoset tables.
BLEACH. wet them down with straight bleach, keep them wet with bleach for about 4-5 minutes and then scrub them with a green scrubby pad. I rarely have a stain that won't come out using that method. If you do encounter stains that won't come out that way, then yes, the can be sanded and that will resolve virtually any staining. I do suggest that you don't simply spot sand however. You can concentrate on the stained area, but make sure you lightly sand the whole table. Then, when you are done with the bleach and or sander, rinse them off and let them dry completely. Then give them a coat or two of a good automotive vinyl dressing. I like to use Aerospace 303 as it is designed for the aircraft industry and has good AV protection properties. They will look like new.
I’ll have to try that method for sure.

This is still left after pressure washing which usually takes care of everything, but these stains are particularly stubborn.
IMG_4650.jpeg

I think you will be surprised. It takes some scrubbing, but 97% of the time, it works. It also works great to soak knobs and igniter buttons in straight bleach before cleaning them with a scrubby. Lid handles and end table handles do the same way as the Thermoset tables.

Some Silver Bs and Cs came with two swing tables, some came with only one. My Silver B was a “special edition” and the second table was one of the upgrades from the base model.

The presence or lack of a braze-on of the frame should give you the answer. And the shape of the right side plastic end cap. I’m guessing yours is just one table.

If you can hang a second table, be careful to get the exact correct one. Some were more rounded, some more square. They only differ slightly, but they will look goofy if you mix match them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everybody. I'll look for the cleat today to see if its there. I think it probably isn't. My thermoset tables are stained, but in a strange, chalky way. I'll look at the advice for cleaning and give them a go. Appreciate all the help. I'll even post a pic after I get it cleaned, and touched up.

Thanks for your help everybody. I'll look for the cleat today to see if its there. I think it probably isn't. My thermoset tables are stained, but in a strange, chalky way. I'll look at the advice for cleaning and give them a go. Appreciate all the help. I'll even post a pic after I get it cleaned, and touched up.
Here is one with both swing tables, and the right side welded cleat

IMG_4656.jpeg
IMG_4659.jpeg

For a coating maybe give that cerakote someone noted in the Q grill forum a try. I don't know much about that one or the one Bruce uses (Aerospace 303 or something like that). But both seem to give nice results

For the tables that are very "chalky", I suggest sanding and ending with a very fine grit paper. Then treating with the Aerospace 303 will have them looking and feeling like new. That chalky issue is caused by UV sun exposure.

1000006785.jpgthis is my results with the cerakote. I did the table and not the frame, to illustrate the difference. It totally dries and has been holding on my cars that I used it on for more than a year. Highly recommend

Back