New to Lump coal

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
Been reading alot about opinions about lump coal. As per previous notes. I found a bag at Walmart "Royal Oak". Now looking foward to a new concept. The 10 lb bag seemed very lite. Tried to lite a single coal with a lighter, but does not want to take off. Is there a special way to get this to work? Will it take off with a chimney starter OK, or is there a different proccess.
I LOVE THIS SITE!!

I start regular Kingsford in the chimney, then poor that over the lump. I spread the lit Kingsford around evenly.

Well, it's not going to light with a lighter unless you're willing to stay with it for quite a while. You light it as you would any charcoal when you don't want to use charcoal lighter fluid. Weber starter cubes and a chimney are a good way to go. As Bob said, you can light some briquettes and start the lump with that. Basically, you just have to put the fire to it for a couple of minutes.

I'm curious, why would you try to light a piece with a lighter? Is that how you light other charcoal?

As for Royal Oak, that is good lump. It seems light, but there is a lot of cooking in a 10lb. bag.

You can light lump with a chimney starter...it won't take long....it gets hot very fast. On a long cook, I'll use some lit charcoal from a chimney starter and spread them over the unlit lump.

If I am grilling, I'll use a chimney full of lit lump, then add unlit lump on top.

The lump is ready sooner than it may look. I won't let the whole chimney be consumed by flame
as I would charcoal. Lump ignites very fast, but is fairly easy to control.

You'll love the difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:
Hey all,
Been reading alot about opinions about lump coal. As per previous notes. I found a bag at Walmart "Royal Oak". Now looking foward to a new concept. The 10 lb bag seemed very lite. Tried to lite a single coal with a lighter, but does not want to take off. Is there a special way to get this to work? Will it take off with a chimney starter OK, or is there a different proccess.
I LOVE THIS SITE!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, on a long cook, you will need to arrange the lump somewhat so that there are few gaps between pieces. Because of the odd sizes in every bag, I was advised to do this.....and it made a world of difference. My last cook went around 18-19 hours on one load of lump on a chilly, breezy night.

I also found by arrranging the lump even in the chimney starter made a difference, although not as important.

Yup,
This is the way to go. Just used it this weekend. Big bag at wally mart Just seemed a little light compaired to briquettes. More natural with real wood. Just got to get used to it.

Back