New Taylor, off by 20 degrees

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Blah. I don't understand why they can't make thermoters that meet minimum quality controls. I just ordered a new Polder digital dual and a Taylor candy thermometer. The polder is good but the taylor reads 190 deg in boiling water. This is supposed to be a good commercial grade thermometer.

I don't understand the quality control thing either. I bought a Thermapen and had to return it because it was off. The one they replaced it with is right on. I don't understand why they ever shipped the first one. It was off from the first measure.

The Taylor should have a nut on the back. Hold this with a wrench and set the needle at 32 deg. when the shaft is in a mix of water and ice. If you use boiling water you need to adjust for altitude (not attitude). Yelonutz.

If you do the ice water test, here are the directions I received from Thermapen.

The most fail-safe way to see if your ThermaPen is functioning
correctly is to test it in an ice bath. To do this, take an insulated
mug and fill it about 2/3 full of crushed ice. Then fill it with cold
(preferably refrigerated) water so that the water level does not rise
above the level of ice (you don’t want the ice to float at all). Give
it about a minute to equilibrate and then, while stirring the mixture
with the ThermaPen probe, take the reading. According to factory
specifications, it should read 32 °F, ± 2°.

Davidd:

Where are you located and what is the elevation or your cooksite? Boiling point is lower as the elevation increases. But your BP of 190 degrees is way way out of line for elevations up to 5000 ft (without doing calculations or referring to a chart).

I am in the flat land of Florida. The taylor does not have a nut on the back for adjustment. I find this issue frustrating. I did not keep the original packaging but will contact the company, either taylor or Cook.com

Back