New Stoker WiFi Announced Today. (7-05-11)

Will there still be a need for an internet connection or will a laptop with a wifi adapter be able to connect?? (im not much of a computer guy, so forgive the ignorance)

Ken, an internet connection is only necessary if you want to access a wireless device externally (outside your wireless home network) thru the internet.

Inside depending if you have a router or not you either connect thru the router wirelessly or do a peer-to-peer connection between your laptop and the wireless device directly.

Malte

I was actually thinking more about at comps were there isnt any internet, would love to be able to move the laptop into the RV to monitor instead of having to get up to out and look at it. I understand that I would need internet to have it sent to phone or email.

At comps you can use a WiFi computer peer to peer or use a wireless router as J. Malte posted above. A WAN connection to the router is not required unless you want emails, tweets or to monitor on a SmartPhone. A router just makes it easier.

BottomLine
get a Stoker..

This is pretty sweet actually. If they had this a year ago I probably never would have made my wifi HeaterMeter. The original device was great but having to bring two devices and power bricks to the grill seemed a bit cumbersome. Now that's not an issue any longer.

Does it say it has a notification system for sending a text message or email, or does the current stoker do that already?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
Does it say it has a notification system for sending a text message or email, or does the current stoker do that already? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is built-in the prior sofware.

That's a great development! Solves the last bit of inconvenience in controlling the smoker remotely.

Back