New Spider Venom Kickstarter temp control for Kettle

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
Looks very interesting. Wifi and Bluetooth. These are the same folks who make the pellet adapter for the kettle.

There are already numerous products that can do the same thing in Heatermeter, Fireboard, BBQ Guru, Thermoworks Signlas, etc. The difference with those even though they might cost a little more is they can be used with other grills and smokers too. This is a kettle only device it appears, so what’s unique about it is also a severe limitation.

I don’t know. I kind of like it.
I just got the bbq guru which required drilling a large hole in my kettle. I did it with no issues but if this was on the market already at $200 with the Lithium battery pack (as currently advertised) I would have opted for this. It is clean looking. It looks like it is supposed to be there from the factory.
One issue I have is access to electricity for the bbq guru. I have to run an extension cord to my shed to use it.
I wonder how long the lithium battery remains charged?

That said I can see it being purchased more by Summit owners then kettle owners but who knows?

Edit: They claim the battery lasts a week.

Last edited:
Looks nice, if I didn't already have 3 different ATCs, I might bite. I like that way that it is integrated.

Really surprised that I haven't seen more of the Spider pellet adapter for the kettle. I really thought that was going to take off.

Charlie

I got a really fast response from Jeremiah.
In addition to his comments in the attachment Jeremiah confirmed the warranty would cover water damage if it occurred during a rain storm.

Attachments

• 410E2480-6E39-4043-84F3-D78313284757.jpeg
    410E2480-6E39-4043-84F3-D78313284757.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 30
Looks nice, if I didn't already have 3 different ATCs, I might bite. I like that way that it is integrated.

Really surprised that I haven't seen more of the Spider pellet adapter for the kettle. I really thought that was going to take off.

Charlie
I was really close to buying one, I think it was around February, and they were sold out until July, so there must be demand.

I was really close to buying one, I think it was around February, and they were sold out until July, so there must be demand.
That's good news, it looks like a cool product. To be honest, I had forgotten about them until I saw this thread. Haven't heard anything about them since a year or two ago. Glad to hear that they're selling.

Charlie

I mean, it’s kinda cool, but it’s coming into an already crowded market and does nothing better or significantly different than others.

It will be, ultimately, a fail.

Personally, I'm decidedly anti-technology when it comes to grilling. The gadgets just ruin the zen of it for me. When the food is done well I want to know it's all from my hand, and not some computerized contraption. Hell, I don't even own a cell/smart phone of any type.

I did receive a Smoke as a gift and will admit it is nice to not have to babysit the grill every moment. My rationalization for using it is the Smoke is just a fancy remote thermometer. I've always used a thermometer.

This does look like a cool gadget if you enjoy those things.

I really really like this, I keep thinking about adding something to my bbq Arsenal that would allow me to have more electronic control of the temps
making the pit easier to maintain when I am doing new or more complex recipes. I love manning the temps on the kettle when that is all I got going on, but as I keep trying new meals, being able to focus on the prep and the cooking while knowing the grill is locked in is getting more and more appealing to me. I have been looking at the recteq bullseye to meet these goal, but I like this 100 times more! Adding that I want to get my late father-in-laws neglected 22 in kettle looking and working better than it did even when he was here has this climbing to the top of my bbqing wish list.

Something that I notice that we would be sacrificing if we added this to a kettle would be the easy open touch sweep cleaning system. I am 99.9% positive that you would completely NOT use the open touch cleaning system and that the three blades would not be including in the system at all. There would be the ash basket on the bottom of the unit we would just have to work the ash downing into it more by hand. This would not bother me very much, but just something I noticed.

Something that I notice that we would be sacrificing if we added this to a kettle would be the easy open touch sweep cleaning system. I am 99.9% positive that you would completely NOT use the open touch cleaning system and that the three blades would not be including in the system at all. There would be the ash basket on the bottom of the unit we would just have to work the ash downing into it more by hand. This would not bother me very much, but just something I noticed.
Watch the video they explain that the One Touch cleaning still works as usual.

The one touch ash sweep is still used as Joe stated. The Venom installs around the handle and snaps in place. Jeremiah briefly shows the install at the 40 second mark of the video. It is the first video on the top of the page.
I am with you on the temp control. Kind of turning the kettle into an oven where you set it and forget it.

It can be moved from one unit to another like other systems. It may take a little more effort to move then say the bbq guru but it can be done. But it is limited to the Weber kettles only.

Last edited:

Back