New Q

Daryl w

TVWBB Member
well I've been Qing for a long time with my wsm and kettle but lately
I've been checking out those pellet smokers.
I see costco sells one that seems pretty good
http://www.costco.ca/Traeger-Century-20,000-BTU-Wood-Pellet-Grill.product.100127917.html

My only concern is winter temps in it when its -20 will it get hot enough to cook a brisket or butt.
my wsm will but from what I read some have heat issues.

Does anyone here have a pellet smoker maybe a traeger, louisiana grill, yoder, mak etc
If so how do you like it?
Pros, cons?

That is a lot of money in my opinion! If you want a pellet smoker why don't you just buy the conversion for the WSM? It can easily be converted back if needed.

Daryl ... I have a Traeger 075 I purchased at Costco just about 2 years ago, my wife wanted it now I'm trying to find someone to buy it. You can get a blanket for them to help with the heat retention but here is some down sides to a pellet pooper like Traeger, they need an electrical source of some kind and yes they can run off an inverter, pellets can be hard to find unless you order them in bulk, the biggest issue I have is the smoke flavor in general, I like the smokiness from the WSM, you don't get a very strong flavor from pellets not to mention the Traeger really is more like a pellet fired convection oven, the higher the temp the less smoke flavor not to mention most won't go over 375 and they do have issues with temp stabilization but you can mod them to correct most of this . I've never done brisket or pork on mine because of the lack of smoke flavor but they do a heck of a good job with chicken and meat loaf stuff like that. Now it's always to each their own, some like the Traeger myself, not really. Oh and besides, if you like grill marks and the whole thrill of the grill, then Traeger isn't for you, just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for reply Don
Wanted someones opinion who owns one. it appears some like them some don't.
The more I look at forums like pellethead etc there seems to be alot of other issues as well
jamming auger, moisture in pellets if you keep them in hopper
heat regulation alot are hotter at one side ot another
lack of heat I always cook with Hi heat never put water in pan.
and biggest issue for me is lack of pellets brands in canada

so i guess i will stick to the wsm or maybe a komado cooker.
I need another smoker for all the events I have been doing last couple of years
and having to borrow Q's or like last time did a brisket on my kettle cause I had to do 3 of them
(turned out good tho but alot more intervention required on the kettle then the wsm.)

I see a used 22 wsm for sale locally maybe I get it at least I know what I am getting.

Last edited:
It' a Weber kettle that's larger than a 22.5 but smaller than a Weber Ranch kettle. I don't own one YET, but the folks that do seem to love the versatility and size. They seem to be vary good with 2 zone cooking and smoking.

Back