New Performer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Berz

TVWBB Member
I have had a Weber Genesis for 4 years now and that was the only way I grilled. Found this site and picked up a WSM last November and love it. Have cooked hams, ribs, pork butt, chuck rolls, bacon and love the smoke and charcoal taste! I had been reading aboat everyone using their performers and decided to see what I can find on Craigs list....Hadnt come across anything. Went by a local store that was going out of business and they had a brand new in box performer for $250 so I picked it up. Cant wait to start grillin!!!

Congrats,
I bought myself one for my 64th birthday. Should have done it sooner but my trusty old Kettle refused to pass so I passed it on to my bro-in-law anyway. I love:
-gas assisit start. I bought an adapter from Harbor Freight to fill the 16.4 oz cannisters from the 20 lb cylinder. I have an adapter for using the 20lber on he Perf but it is cumbersome to move.
-Ash catcher. A first for me.Very neat.
-Height of the thing. Don't have to bend over to cook!! Important at my age and condition.
-Work table. Makes cooking a joy AND provides a place for my adult beverage while cooking.
-Charcoal storage. Convient.
Not too crazy about:
-Lid holder. I wish it let the lid to move further out of the way like the Slide-Aside accessory. I'm getting used to it though.
Happy grilling!!!

When I first thought about getting a kettle I almost bought a OTG but after reading all the feedback on this sight about the extra perks of the performer I decided to focus my search on the performer.

I have the Weber gasser and bought the WSM last November and now I just bought the performer. My dad, brother in law and wife all asked why I needed the performer....They said you already have two grills....I said they are all different and all have their purpose.....They just dont understand...
icon_biggrin.gif

Great snag! Have fun cooking on charcoal. It takes a little work and getting used to, but the extra setup time is well worth the wait.

Congrats on the purchase! As much as I've grown to love the WSM, I'm equally loving my performer I picked up a few months ago. I mainly wanted the performer to use for indirect grilling, but needles to say, after my first couple cooks I sold my gasser and use it 100% for all my grilling needs.

Everything about the grill makes it such a complete package.

well I too have just purchased a Performer...it's sitting on the deck and will make its maiden cook this evening.....can't wait!...did you know you can fit a performer in the box in the back of a Jeep Wrangler?! haha when I picked up the box at cabelas I honestly didn't think it would fit without taking the top down but what do ya know....it fit!

Update on the performer....this thing rocks! I can't believe how easy this thing is to cook with! I light it with a chimney of charcoal using the gas assist for no more than a minute...let it ash up ... dump it in and put on the cooking grate. Leave both vents open and let it come up to temp...doesn't take long at all! You can sear steaks so well compared to a gasser and I love the option of using smoke wood... the flavor is phenomenal! My only regret is that I waited this long to get one!

Greg-
You should have seen me when I went to pick up my performer. It definitely does NOT fit in the trunk or backseat of a Subaru Impreza sedan in the box. People were looking at me funny as I unpacked the box in front of the door to Home Depot... in a rainstorm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by greg arneault:
Update on the performer....this thing rocks! ............... Leave both vents open and let it come up to temp...doesn't take long at all! You can sear steaks so well compared to a gasser and I love the option of using smoke wood... the flavor is phenomenal! My only regret is that I waited this long to get one! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Greg
To get the grill hotter to sear better, when you put the lid on to preheat leave the lid ajar about an inch or so. The extra airflow gives a more intense heat, it preheats quicker and hotter.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back