New Performer: Test Burn Results. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael L.

TVWBB Fan
Got my brand new Blue Performer this week.

NewGrill007.jpg

Did a non cooking test burn just to monitor the temp reaction. I wanted to see how many hours one chimney of charcoal would steadily hold low temps for.

I was hoping to witness locking the temp somewhere between 225 - 275.

I normally cook with Kingsford, so that's what I used. I'm familiar with it.

I loaded one full chimney of unlit coals and pushed to one side. I used the charcoal baskets that came with the grill, not filled with charcoal, but flipped around and I used the flat side as a charcoal rail.

Then I flipped my chimney upside down and lit 12 briquettes to grey ash and sprinkled them evenly over the top of the unlit coals.

Oh, and I foiled the bottom grate except for the section under the coals.

Left the top and bottom vents wide open, and put the lid on with just about 1/2" cracked open. Used the maverick therm to monitor the cooking grate directly under the hood therm.

No water, no bricks, no clay. Just the grill, the probe, the coals, and the foil. No food.

I watched the temp rise to 200 then closed the lid snuggly, close the bottom vent completely and closed the top exhaust vent to 50%. Then I watched the temp, and hoped to see it slow and lock in place somewhere between 225 and 275. I was even half expecting a spike and then settling back down.

No such luck on either. with eveything closed completely except for the top exhaust vent (at 50%)I watched the temp rise, and rise, and rise... and keep rising and finally I stopped watching at 375.

Overall.. I'm not too worried about it. Here is my theory as to the reason(s).

1.) I think I lit too many coals to start with.
2.) I think I gave it too much air, and subsequently too much momentum for it to stop at 200.
3.) It's brand new and hasn't built any "insulation" in the kettle yet.
4.) I might have waited to long before I shut it down.

My planned corrections:
1.) Fewer lit coals to start with. I'll use 8 instead of 12.
2.) I'm tempted to alter the bottom vent and/or the lid cracking. But... maybe I'll do that on burn #3 if I need it.
3.) I'll start choking the fire sooner. Around 175 or so.

I think the first burn was like going 80 miles and hour, then slamming on the brakes and trying to stop in 40 feet.

This way... I'll reduce my approach speed, and I'll also give move "breaking distance" to hit my target.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3.) It's brand new and hasn't built any "insulation" in the kettle yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TRUE!

Great looking grill Btw! Congrats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3.) It's brand new and hasn't built any "insulation" in the kettle yet.

TRUE! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... I figure I'll just roast a pig ole hunk of pork in there to start.

That really is a great looking grill.

One thing you might also consider is the hole in the bottom of the kettle where the propane assist enters; you might want to seal it up with some foil to allow better control with the vents.

Just a thought. Good luck!

great looking grill! i recently picked up a blue one as well but not the brand spanking new ones like yours with the thermometer embedded into the lid. mine is threaded through the handle.

i also found it hard to keep the temps down during my first cook and i think i also started with too many lit coals. however, after i was finished cooking, i shut down everything and closed all vents completely. usually on my otg's and SS performer the fire dies down, but on this newer performer the fire stayed lit for a long time until it eventually burned up most of the coals into ash.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan B:
That really is a great looking grill.

One thing you might also consider is the hole in the bottom of the kettle where the propane assist enters; you might want to seal it up with some foil to allow better control with the vents.

Just a thought. Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmmm I really don't think that the propane hole in the kettle has much of an effect as it has a metal plate on the outside and I've never had any trouble with air leakages with mine and I wouldn't realised this during shutdown but nope...no problems there.
The kettle is a very efficient cooker and it gets hot quickly and even the 12 coals you used will get some good heat going although I was surprised to see 12 coals getting up to over 375F.
You need to start shutting it down at around 180F on the climb but because you had no meat in the kettle to act as a heat sink, it just kept rising because there was nothing to stop it doing so.
In the kettle if I'm doing a low, slow smoke, I place the meat in when it gets to about 250-300F but then the meat becomes a heat sink and I place a small tray of water over the coals,this will allow my kettle to settle in around the 220-230F range for many hours.
On saying this, my Performer has plenty of gunk & insulation as well.
Water is a marvellous control tool hence the reason why the WSM became famous for long period cooking.

Cheers

Davo

I'm going to do another burn today. Still with no food in it, but this time I'll add a pan of water to act as a heat sink in addition to the corrections I posted above.

1.) Fewer lit coals to start with. I'll use 8 instead of 12.
2.) Water Pan for heat sink
3.) I'll start choking the fire sooner. Around 175 or so.

Actually.. I'll throw on a couple potatoes. Might as well use the heat for something other than just for a burn.

Michael, i use my otg for smoking a lot, i like to use the charcoal baskets only use one, i fill the the charcoal basket and start with only 4 lit coals plenty of heat, i put the meat on immediately and catch my target temp on the way up very easy, i normally smoke at 275-300 is when i get my best results, anyway good luck and enjoy your new toy.

It's probably not as well sealed as it will be after a few cooks. Also, keep in mind that the mass of whatever food you put in acts as a heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back