New Performer - Slow Snuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Collin

TVWBB Member
My 18" Silver seems to be able to snuff out the fire quite a bit faster than my new Performer. I get the distinct feeling that it is drawing air from somewhere, but all vents are completely shut. More than an hour later its still 150*. I would generally expect it to be OUT and COLD at that point.

Suggestions for improving the process other than just building up some gunk from frequent cooking? Thx.

Would love to here the answers to this one. I've got the same issue. I think it's leaking air from the propane starter hole.

That and the fact that the lid holder doesn't get the lid out of the way enough are the only things I don't like about the Performer and part of the reason I'm considering getting a OTP as a second grill (instead of another Peformer). Everything else is awesome.

it's a <span class="ev_code_GREY">poltergeist!</span>
sell the dang thing to me for mere pennies
icon_biggrin.gif

maybe take a close look at the fitting of the vanes of the one touch system and make sure they are installed properly and close to being flush. also look at the top vent and see if its sitting flush or if its bowed above the lid. all my kettles cool down purty quickly so yers should also.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">maybe take a close look at the fitting of the vanes of the one touch system and make sure they are installed properly and close to being flush. also look at the top vent and see if its sitting flush or if its bowed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George,
Do you have a Performer? The reason I ask is all my kettle cool down quickly too...except the performer. I think he's right. I think there is air leak in the design.

i do not have a performer and i just realized why it has that problem. there is a big hole in the kettle were the pipe for the gas lighter goes through.

Agreed. My performer takes longer to snuff than my OTS (even with the cajun bandit). The only difference is the hole for the gas burner. I just chalk it up as the price of convenience.

The normal stuff is all closed up tight, so it probably is the burner hole. I'll take a closer look at it, but what about using some high-temp caulk to seal it up? I've found a few products that are rated for 500* or so, but I'd think that a 1000* rated product would be needed. Suggestions?

I wouldn't touch it. Weber knows how important it is to be air tight so I would assume if there is a air hole, it's supposed to be there.

It's not a gap or anything like that. It's an actual hole in one end of the burner tube. There's now way it slipped by them. You'll see what I mean when you look at it.

OK. I couldn't stand it. I needed to know. I temporarily removed the gas ignition and covered the hole with plumber's foil tape to plug the hole.

I then fired up the performer to 325 degrees and cut everything off. I had some mitigating issues (lid is slightly out of round, 2 fire bricks in the grill, and some other issues that would take to long to explain, etc) but I can say that it clearly cooled down a LOT faster without the igniter installed.

For me, the mystery of the slow snuff is solved.
icon_wink.gif
Not that it was that big of a "mystery" in the first place.

ha. I know. I've used this thing for 2 years and never cared. Then, the other day I noticed after cooking ribs, resting them, eating them with friends, and then going back outside that the Performer was still hot.

It's been bugging me ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back